/ What kind of plow is it. #1  

Pooh_Bear

Platinum Member
Tractor
Early 1949 Ford 8N
I am buying this plow ($100).
Gotta go pick it up this week.
Is it worth $100.
I will be driving about 4 hours to Lavonia GA to pick it up.
Then 4 hours back. Long day driving.

Do you know what brand or kind or any other info.
Someone on another site said it looked home made.
I bought it off an auction site. (not ebay).
So I'm kinda stuck with it now.
If my 8n won't pull it can I remove one of the plows and pull it single.

I know nothing about plowing with a tractor.
I just got an 8n and trying to get implements for it.

Thanks.

Pooh Bear

plow2.jpg

plow1.jpg

/ What kind of plow is it. #2  
Looks like what's called a moldboard plow. Your 8N should pull it. Some of these had a tail wheel that kinda kept it from kicking out too much if it hit something. Also controlled the depth. Some could be used as a trail wheel when plow is raised, to take some weight off the 3pt when raised.

Ralph

/ What kind of plow is it. #3  
Don't know what kind it is, but if is homemade it's pretty good. Your 8N should pull it if you have REAL soil (not sticky clay). Looks like you should be able to take one off also. Don't think you got hurt with $100. What auction site was it?

/ What kind of plow is it. #4  
Hey Pooh!

I was the guy that replied on "the other site". I still think that's a (GOOD JOB) home made plow. I've bought and sold hundreds of used plows over the years, and NEVER saw one quite like that. One thing to note...The drawbar on a plow SHOULD have an off-set in it, to make it run level when the tractor has one wheel in the furrow. That one doesn't. You will need to adjust your leveling crank about to it's limit to make it work. Still, I'd say $100 isn't bad. (And if you remove one bottom, the leveling issue won't be as severe). /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ What kind of plow is it. #5  
You will hopefully enjoy the experience of learning how to adjust this plow to plow. Just have patience.
With no tail (furrow) wheel, and no coulters, and no adjustments within the plow, you will get pretty frustrated if you let it happen.
Find someone who 'knows' about plowing, and they will (should) be a big help to you.
It looks either 'homemade' or one of the cheaper knockouts that are on the market now (at least they 'look' like a moldboard plow). /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
There is a real fine line to get a moldboard plow to 'plow good' and a broad range of adjustments that are not right, and one doesn't quite know which direction the 'fine line' is, so the frustration mounts.
Keep calm, however, and hope you get some good plowing with this 'attachment'.

/ What kind of plow is it. #6  
I'm now curious as to which auction site that you found it on as well. Maybe we can have a TBN rally over there bidding on implements.

/ What kind of plow is it.
I found it on Farm and Field Auctions site.
http://www.farmandfieldauctions.com/index.cfm

Not much there. I just got lucky.

Yep, I had posted this over on one of the ytmag forums too.
Hoping to get some more replies over here.

I got an 8n tractor back in January with the intent of mowing our yard and my parents yard with it. Now my dad has plans of plowing a garden and wanted me to find a plow for the tractor. His garden spot last year would barely be big enough to get the tractor in, probably 30x40 feet. So I don't know what his plans are this year.

Long as it will work for what I want to do I'll be happy.

Thanks bunches ya'll

Pooh Bear

/ What kind of plow is it.
Welp, I went and picked it up today.
This sucker is huge. Don't know if my tractor will pull it.
Probably leave off one the bottoms to plow with it.
Mite get a chance to try it out in the next few days.
It looks to be in great shape. Probably will plow well.
Specially in the soft dirt we got.
Will let ya'll know how it does when I try it.

Thanks.

Pooh Bear