What kind of tractor?

/ What kind of tractor?
No wildlife valuation. We do quite a bit of farming. When I said southeast Texas I really meant around the El Campo area. So coastal prairie. We also have about 600 acres of moist soil units for duck hunting. We disk these every 3 years to keep woody vegetation down and to increase moist soil plant production.

/ What kind of tractor? #13  
Won't be disking the entire 4000....probably more like 1300 of that...the rest is farm land and it leased to a farmer.

We are planning on burning, disking, and planting native grasses. We also disk fields to promote forb growth. Our 70hp has been great but not enough power. Then we starting thinking about getting something like a M135x. But after looking at prices I could get an older but very reliable 200hp and a disk harrow for less. We have a Kubota SLV75 skid steer for digging/brush clearing/loading. Also our M7040 has a FEL for loading.

I've seen Versatile tractors (articulated) in the 160 hp range sell at $8000 in local auctions. Of course, you have to be handy with a wrench and have the workshop equipment to keep this type of vintage hardware running. Typically these big tractors have a big drawbar, but no 3-point hitch, no rear pto. The neighbor I mentioned in my previous post in this thread has a 70 hp Kubota and a 90 hp Farmall to handle the planting (grain drill) and baling work (3-twine bales). He mows with a pre-owned self-propelled New Holland swather with a 12 ft sicklebar head. He clears the bales off the field with a self-propelled NH bale stacker.

/ What kind of tractor? #14  
No wildlife valuation. We do quite a bit of farming. When I said southeast Texas I really meant around the El Campo area. So coastal prairie. We also have about 600 acres of moist soil units for duck hunting. We disk these every 3 years to keep woody vegetation down and to increase moist soil plant production.

Gotcha. Sounds like a great spread of property. Glad to hear your intentions to plant back to native grasses. You will have to keep us updated on that project, as that's something I am planning to do on my acreage here in East TX, too. :thumbsup:

/ What kind of tractor? #15  
The 7140 is an excellent machine. We farm 1000 acres and our biggest tractor is a 7250 case. It'll pull our 21 foot john deere 235 disc like it's not there. It'll pull a 6 row strip till planter no problem as well. I highly recommend those tractors. During cotton season my helper parked the 7250 an the module builder too close to a 3 foot deep ditch. When I got on and started moving the module builder fell in the ditch. It pulled the module builder out of the ditch in 2wd and didn't even spin

image-3123320132.jpg

image-3044418401.jpg

image-228796490.jpg