What lawn mower tractor to buy for 5acre lawn?

/ What lawn mower tractor to buy for 5acre lawn? #11  
The price is a big problem. To get something that will last you will need to spend more or buy used. Look at some old Gravley tractors They are strong machines should have approx 50 inch mower deck will last a long time if cared for.
It will take a long time to mowe 3-5 aceres with out the right equipment.

/ What lawn mower tractor to buy for 5acre lawn? #12  
If the $3000 is written in stone, then the only thing I would feel good in recommending would be the Sears Craftsman DGT6000 or it's Husgvarna clone. You get a 54" mower and a fairly well built garden tractor, but it's not a ZTR and there are better choices out there, just more expensive.

/ What lawn mower tractor to buy for 5acre lawn? #13  
Two suggestions:

1. Head over to Lawn & Leisure on Old Ox Rd and have them quote you a price on the Airens 2148XL ZTR. IIRC it was around $4400 when I was shopping.

2. Call or visit Browning Equipment in Purcellville and ask them about a Bobcat ZTR they have sitting on their lot. Looks like a trade in, has < 100hrs. Looks like a 48" deck. They also are an Exmark and Kubota dealer but the cheapest Exmark is around 5K for a 44" deck. I would guess you could get that Bobcat for around $4500. FWIW they also have a JD X595 with 54" deck for $7K, but you might be able to talk them down some more since it's been sitting there a couple months now.

Three grand simply won't get you a machine that will mow your acreage quickly, or a machine that will last. It won't get you both, not new anyway, and most likely not used.

/ What lawn mower tractor to buy for 5acre lawn? #14  
Good ideas from JohnSinVA. I'm in western Loudoun also with 3.5 acres, hilly and trees. I started with a 25hp/48" lawn tractor so I could cut and do odd jobs - hauling brush, aerating, fertilizing, etc. This worked good for awhile given you had the time. Mowing took a good half-day including trimming. Even with a ZTR, 48" on 5 acres sounds a bit small.

I picked up a used commercial ZTR with 24" tires, 60" fabricated deck. Compared to residential ZTRs, this thing is a tank and cuts mowing to 2 fun hours with minimal trimming. I definately recommend stepping up to a commercial unit with a fab deck. I think 60" would be a good target. Used you could go $3-4.5K, New $5-$8K.

With the ZTR, my LT is used only for lansdscaping projects and bush hogging in tight spots. I could probably rig up a hitch on the ZT and do almost all the same jobs as the tractor, but I'd have drop the deck to get into my wooded areas.

You might also check out Presmoe dot com. The guy usually has a nice selection of used garden tractors and front cuts which get closer to your budget with a bit more durability.

/ What lawn mower tractor to buy for 5acre lawn? #15  
hello all,
I too have almost 5 acres, Pretty flat, a few trees... but also cut on the side another 4 to 6 acres.... is HP a factor when deciding on which mower to buy, I really like the ZForce 50 CC & CC M60 Tank....... Where could I good a really good deal on M60.. I live in Delaware real close to the Maryland line.. I think I would prefer ZTR over a Garden Tractor, I am not planning on pulling anything, I have JD 325 GT to do this with.... are there other ZTR that are good quality within 4,000 price range up to 7,000....

/ What lawn mower tractor to buy for 5acre lawn? #16  
You could easily do this with a cheesy $3000 that would the a fair job in 4 hours and would last you a year or two. Price is a factor of quality, speed and durability. Where do you want to be on these factors? Is this mower going to be a long term investment? Or is this a chore you just need to get out of the way? Do you have the extra time to spend on this?Figure out where you want to be on these factors and then do some research on the brand or type of mower you NEED! Maybe a commercial grade Walk behind with a sulky would be a good compromise. This would give you a great cut , a good time, it would last a long time, and fall into your budget of $3k.

/ What lawn mower tractor to buy for 5acre lawn? #17  
I figured I might try to revive this thread a bit...

The reason is for a little new info and an older example that has been experienced...

I too cut 5 acres, Started out with 6' rear finish mower on tractor, did it this way for years... It got OLD ... Started looking at ZTR's ended up with a 60" 25hp kawasaki made by lesco(commercial) for $5999 a spring incentive sale.. The machine works fine no complaints. This mower is the exact same as the Cub M60 TANK in a different color and minus optional head lights...

My mowing time has been cut in half from over 4hrs with a 6'
slow moving tractor to about 2hrs. with less triming

Now for the new news, They are now offering another 60" Z with a generac 28hp engine for $5399 /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Check out there the Lesco web site...

I Don't have any info on generac engines but this price is quite appealing for a 60" commercial mower... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Also another tid bit, If you have never mowed with a commercial ZTR ,you will have grass clippings all over you before your finished ,eye protection is a must a hat is preferred and to round out the ensemble a bandana for the more descriminating bandit( I mean pilot)... And for 5 acres or more the good suspension type seat is worth the extra $$$

If your back is good you might be able to get away with-out the seat, But the length of time you mow will help determine the seats value... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ What lawn mower tractor to buy for 5acre lawn? #18  
I never get clippings on me when I mow with my ZTR..

/ What lawn mower tractor to buy for 5acre lawn? #19  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I never get clippings on me when I mow with my ZTR.. )</font>

Either you're joking, or you live where there is never any wind. My favorite is to have heavy wet clippings blown right into my ear to start the day of mowing. That generally sets me in the right mood. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif About that time is when I go get appropriate protection. Otherwise, for some reason, I've found that it does no good at all to just shout foul words everytime I get plastered with clippings from the wind. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ What lawn mower tractor to buy for 5acre lawn? #20  
Dargo, I think he mows in the rain /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Just kidding , maybe he has one of those exspensive grass catching units... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

No I remember now, He mows first thing in the morning DEW!!