What machine for the job? Snow Plow, small lot

/ What machine for the job? Snow Plow, small lot
AndyMA said:
Is it under $4000/ year regardless of how many times the sub needs to come out? How many times per storm will they come out. I personally think that is a good price. I also think that plowing between all those cars is more of a pusher box type of job rather than a plow. Either a mid size tractor or a bobcat with a pusher box. $20,000 ?. at $4k/year plus upkeep on your machine I think the sub will be cheaper and more reliable.

Andy

They get the $4K whether they plow 0 times or 100. We don't plow between cars, just down the two strips that are 10ft x 250. It might well turn out that the contract is adequate...I just hate giving up the cash :)

/ What machine for the job? Snow Plow, small lot #12  
Another thought- a Kubota RTV or similiar with a cab, heater, dump bed, 6' plow, spreader, etc. Could be used around the buildings for general grounds maintenance, snow removal, etc. for under $20K.

/ What machine for the job? Snow Plow, small lot #13  
This is kinda fun spending someone else's money. I still stick by my idea of buying a rusted out 3/4 or 1 ton pickup, better yet find one with a beat up box that looks ugly. Then what ya do is put a 1200.00 dollar flatbed on it and all of a sudden you have a very useful vehicle, that looks good. ugly doesn't mean not sound, just economical. heck for that small of area a 4-wheeler would work as long as you don't let the snow get to deep. then you could use it on the sidewalks also. You'll be scoobied if ya get a hard winter though. Problem i see with a blower is lots of windows and an errant rock. paranoia runs deep! for only 5 or 6 uses a year, I sure can't see spending lots of money, but thats just me.
Now if it was my money, I'd keep the 4000.00 a year contract. spread out over that many units it sure isn't much apiece and is part of the cost of living in snow country. liability insurance isn't cheap, then if ya need to use it, odds are you'll be dropped afterwords. good luck and let us know what ya do Ron

/ What machine for the job? Snow Plow, small lot #14  
greg04
You are possibly forgetting one little thing here, liability insurance. I did almost every business along rt 20 in Sturbridge MA for many, many winters,, Most all were between parked cars.. You say you do a couple of straight runs and don't go between cars, which is fine and dandy., What do you do when it snows, sleet or freezing rain, back to snow while your taking a nap, and you decide to re-clean the lot, You aren't aware of the ice layer covered with snow and slide into several parked cars,., Over 30 years of plowing and I've never hit a parked car, however, I have taken down fences, mail boxes and the likes just because of hidden ice. My good fortune. I still had to replace whatever I broke.
My friend does plowing for the state, on that same rte 20 with a Ford 350 plow,,, He does the exits also off 84, first 4 exits, and this is his 12th year, not a single claim or accident and his plow insurance is 4700.00 this year,,, When you use your used pick up, tractor, giant snow blower or whatever you decide on, remind yourself of how you or the condo association will pay if you hit a parked car. The guy for 4 grand a year? crap shoot whether he works or not,, Make sure he has commercial insurance or find another plower,