What makes Facebook worth 50 billion

/ What makes Facebook worth 50 billion #11  
I have a facebook account only because a freind of mine was in the hospital and his wife was posting updates on his condition on facebook. I don't see what is so great about it. It deffinitly is not easy to navigate arround.
Bill

Agreed...Besides why do I ned to know when 30 other people are going to the store or what they're having for dinner...honestly?

I haven't figured that out along with spending all of ones time texting and yakking on a cell phone to some disembodied voice 18 hours a day. TBN is a little harmless information from time to time.

/ What makes Facebook worth 50 billion #12  
At 59 years of age, I was adament that I wouldn't get into the Facebook thing. Privacy issues, waste of time, all that stuff. My eldest daughter finally convinced me (lives in British Columbia) to join, since that's where she posts all the grandkids pictures.

That's great...BUT, I've now got people who I have no interest in keeping in touch with, now wanting to be my friend.

I think the lesson learned here is that just because your daughter posts the kids pics on Facebook, that doesn't mean she can't burn a DVD now and then with a bunch of photos and mail them to me.

I prefer TBN over Facebook. Like someone said just ahead of me, it's hard to get around FB and is far less entertaining then TBN. :D

/ What makes Facebook worth 50 billion #13  
Mounted Madness said:
At 59 years of age, I was adament that I wouldn't get into the Facebook thing. Privacy issues, waste of time, all that stuff. My eldest daughter finally convinced me (lives in British Columbia) to join, since that's where she posts all the grandkids pictures.

That's great...BUT, I've now got people who I have no interest in keeping in touch with, now wanting to be my friend.

I think the lesson learned here is that just because your daughter posts the kids pics on Facebook, that doesn't mean she can't burn a DVD now and then with a bunch of photos and mail them to me.

I prefer TBN over Facebook. Like someone said just ahead of me, it's hard to get around FB and is far less entertaining then TBN. :D

Yep, we got an invite from DIL to join and see pics of our granddaughter.
I politely declined and said we would hope that as grandparents we warranted being sent pics to us, especially as we've gifted them both digital camera and a laptop. Suspect DIL probably posts more on FB than what gets sent to us, but we hold out hope that one day granddaughter will be old enough to communicate herself.

/ What makes Facebook worth 50 billion #14  
A friend if mine says that because I refuse to go there, the site is pricless.

/ What makes Facebook worth 50 billion #15  
Well when your in high school it helps communicate with class mates and such and with your teachers.

I guess that no one communicated with each other before FB.
Dang now look at what I missed talking directly to the teachers and class mates with no ads and pop ups.

/ What makes Facebook worth 50 billion #16  
The valuation is there because of the type of data freely and willingly being posted to it.

If a government or private organization tried that operating model, we would see them in court.

/ What makes Facebook worth 50 billion #17  
I don't understand where they get a number like $50 billion either, and I'm still amazed that it's worth billions. It is a powerhouse all over the world and with so many people on there and more joining all the time, it's influence is only going to grow. Look at Google and how they have used their political leaning to influence polititics.

I'm a huge fan of Facebook. I refused to join it at first because I thought it was just another myspace, which I looked at and didn't care for. I've found that I really enjoy being able to read what people say, and their updates on their lives. I've been able to reconnect with friends and family that I had wanted to know how they were doing, but too lazy to write emails or call them. Facebook takes no effort and is extremly easy to use.

While TBN is very similar in a lot of ways, it's also totally different. I'm friends with over a dozen people from here over at FB that I've never met personally, but really enjoy what they have to say over there that doens't have anything to do with tractors or projects on their land. Great people are always fun and interesting!!!

I've also found it to be a great way to share pictures. The comments that my friends on FB make are a lot of fun too. Being able to see their pics, and make comments on them is something that you can't do on the phone, or through email. I've tried the email approach, and it's just not the same. Not even close.

It took me years to talk my parents into it, and they finally joined over the summer. Now they are on it every day to check on what's new, and loving it. If you don't give it a try, then you might be missing out.

Eddie

/ What makes Facebook worth 50 billion #18  
Every time I read something about Facebook, it reminds me of the joke I read some time ago where a guy was bragging:

"Hey, I have over 500 friends on Facebook", and somebody asked him how many of those 500-plus the fellow had actually met in person.

"None, why?"

IMO, Facebook is mainly for people who have a hard time meeting others, or for those who don't frequent sites like TBN. I wouldn't trade an hour of screen time on TBN for a week on Facebook....

As Dennis Miller says, "thats just my opinion, I could be wrong..."

/ What makes Facebook worth 50 billion #19  
Just because people do not understand something, does not make it bad.

Brian

/ What makes Facebook worth 50 billion #20  
If you had $10k to invest and FB had a IPO, would you buy shares? If yes, you understand FB. If not, well. . . now we know why you only have $10k to invest.;):laughing:

I like FB and clearly see that it has a huge potential for growth. I'm not into all the cutesy games and such, but the social networking aspect has me back in touch with many lost friends. When you look at all the young people and kids on FB, you realize it will be huge as they mature and become big time consumers. I think it is likely worth far more than $50B in the future and the fact that it is valued at that while being privately held is just amazing.:thumbsup:

Now, on the other hand, there is Twitter. . . Sheesh!:p