What might this be?

/ What might this be? #22  
Ive had one for years that was my grandfathers. He used it to pull wire while he worked in the communications sector of the railroad. This was when they still used the poles and wires along the tracks. He retired about the time they phased that branch out due to using radio communications.
My son used it to put up his zip line in the woods.

I am currently cleaning out the barn of my great grandfather and great uncle. Hasn’t been touched since 1986. If you look in the lower left of the pic you’ll see about 5 of them. Different sizes and styles. This is just one of the loads Ive pulled so far.

View attachment 731389
The nice thing about the cordless drills in the photo is you never have to worry about having a spare battery with you.:)

/ What might this be? #23  
The nice thing about the cordless drills in the photo is you never have to worry about having a spare battery with you.:)

Yeah thats right. There are quite a few conventional brace n bits in the pile also.
Dont have a clue why but they just kept piling things in this part of the barn. Must have been hoarders.
Still have quite a bit to go through.
Waited for cold weather to avoid the copperheads and timber rattlers.

IMG_4703.JPG

/ What might this be? #24  
I'm pretty sure that is a cable puller. (edited for space)
When people come in and ask for it, I'll know what to give them. Meanwhile, it is funny how many people have seen this instrument in their dad collection but don't really know what they are. In conclusion, I might state that most dads are the same.
My heirs won't find one, but they will find a couple of very similar ones used for up to one inch plate!
David from jax

/ What might this be? #25  
Yeah thats right. There are quite a few conventional brace n bits in the pile also.
Dont have a clue why but they just kept piling things in this part of the barn. Must have been hoarders.
Still have quite a bit to go through.
Waited for cold weather to avoid the copperheads and timber rattlers.

View attachment 731664
If my Wife saw a copperhead or timber rattler in the barn, she would probably throw everything in the barn at it, creating a pile just like that! That of course would be just before She ran to the house to get a match and a gallon of gas!
David from jax
(Did I mention my Wife doesn't like snakes?)

/ What might this be? #26  
If my Wife saw a copperhead or timber rattler in the barn, she would probably throw everything in the barn at it, creating a pile just like that! That of course would be just before She ran to the house to get a match and a gallon of gas!
David from jax
(Did I mention my Wife doesn't like snakes?)

Unfortunately we have them aplenty.
For my sons first show n tell at school he took rattlesnake rattles.

/ What might this be? #27  
I have a bunch of rusty old tools and
some things I have no idea what they
are, will clean them up and paint them
black and hang them on the wall in my
garage. Will see if I can get some pic's
of the stuff I don't know what there used
for maybe someone will know what it is
and its use

willy

/ What might this be? #28  
As a telephone lineman, I frequently used this tool to tension stranded cable. It's known in the industry as a "come along". A smaller version is also used with a leather strap to tension service drops. That one is affectionately called a "jock strap".

I use one to pull steel fence posts and rebar with my tractor FEL. It helps to have one that is spring loaded to hold onto the object being pulled until force is applied.

/ What might this be? #29  
I have an old tool found in the barn. Not sure what it is for. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_2265.jpeg
    IMG_2265.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 84