what model to buy?

/ what model to buy? #1  

krisinak

howdy, a new guy here with a question. i am going to buy a tractor for my 4 acre orchard and garden. i have considered the B7800 and the L3400....as well as the little bx24. i will be using a backhoe and tiller as well as a fel. my question what machine would you guys recomend? the soil is sandy loam and level . i like the idea of a smaller more manuverable tractor, but dislike the idea of a less capable machine that would make a long job out of tilling 4 acres. thanks in advance for your input. kris

/ what model to buy?
did i use invisiable ink to post this? lol someboby must have some input for me!

/ what model to buy? #3  
Can't answer your questions about the tiller... Don't have one for my BX24. It works well for everything I've needed. No complaints about power, lift capacity or even comfort since I got the new seat. The small size is a huge plus on my place. I just have to deal with a couple of acres. I have apple and peach trees and couldn't get around them at all with anything larger. I have to take the top part of the ROPS off to let me mow around the trees. I put it back on when I mount the BH or plan to get on any serious slope with the loader. Not much of a problem with an air wrench. BH works great. Wifey uses the FEL to move mulch. She hauls and I spread... Somehow it always seems to work out that way! I spray and fertilize with a rear mounted boom sprayer, plow gardens with a 12" turning plow and a converted cultivator, pull a 48" plugging aerator, move shrubs and bushes at will with the BH, move / spread dirt, sow seed, haul stuff with my boom and launch the boat and jet skis right off my bank. I almost forgot! I mow the grass and mulch the leaves, scrape the ever intrusive Bermuda grass off the edge of the road and since the BX and all the associated stuff doesn't leave room for a golf cart, occasionally just ride over to the little community park. Now, if it ever snows....

/ what model to buy? #4  
krisinak said:
did i use invisiable ink to post this? lol someboby must have some input for me!
I'm sure others will get round to your thread, theres just lots of other threads aswell ;)

But anyway, I don't have much experience with the compact Kubota's but I think that you may find the BX24 a little small for tilling 4 acres.

Depending on how often you do it it might be OK but I expect it would take a while. I think the biggest tiller Kubota do for a BX is 40". You may be able to run a bigger one though.

I think the B7800 or the L3400 would be better in your case. They are a bit bigger but is still manouverable and could run a bigger tiller. The B7800 is one of Kubota's 'economy' tractors. It's not as refined as some of the others.

Have you looked at any other brands? Have you test driven anything yet?

/ what model to buy? #5  
I own a L3400 and just love it. As you, I first looked at the B7800 and for my needs the L made more sense. What all do you expect to do? You say 4 acres of tilling. Is this often? I wish I had the BH, but it may be coming.

/ what model to buy? #6  
I'm no expert (waiting for BX24) but for tilling 4 acres I think you'd want something with bigger tires and probably AG ones at that. No less than a 7610.

/ what model to buy? #7  
I was in the middle of posting last nite when my junk computer crashed for the nite. Anyway, for real dirt work the bx is small. I till 2+ acres with my bx23/50"tiller and it takes almost 4 hours an acre for 1 pass. A b7600 would handle a 5' tiller no problem in your soil. The real problem with the bx is the small tires (no traction) and light weight (tiller pushes it around and the backhoe really pushes it around). I don't think the tilling part would be a problem with any of your choices but if you plan any real backhoe/loader dirt moving I would recommend going bigger set up with the hoe like a b21/b26. I got the bx for getting in and out of the stalls but wish I had gone to the "b" (really liked the NH tc26) everytime I hook up the boxblade/backhoe. While everyone here is glad to spend your money it really is true, "buy alittle bigger than ya think ya need". you'll be happy ya did.:cool:

/ what model to buy? #8  
I'd go with the B7800. The BX24 would be perfectly capable and would definitely win the manuverabiliy contest but I agree that you might find the BX24 a bit small for regular use. The B7800 is one of Kubota's best models. It's a little smaller than the L3400 which makes it more suited to orchard work IMO. The L3400 just seems like too much tractor to me for 4 acres.

/ what model to buy?
thanks for all the good council, im now leaning in favor of the b7800.ill let you know how it turns out. thanks again, kris

/ what model to buy? #10  
If I needed a tractor to till a few acres, work an orchard, do some occasional backhoe work, perhaps some mowing and other chores, I guarantee a B3030 with its independent PTO would be my first choice.