what model to buy?

/ what model to buy? #11  
The B7800 is a good machine but it is a compromise (isn't everything)

I like the machine but, as you are considering spending money, I will tell you what I don't like about my B7800 after 2 years:
1. The "quarter inching valve" 3 Pt. hitch control is not as useful as position control.

2. The hydraulic pump is somewhat underpowered. I have a hydraulic PHD and it works OK but would be better with more flowrate.

3. The loader is limited to 800 pounds or something. Many others are much higher capacity.

4. Also on the 3 pt. hitch; it does not have as convenient an implement connection setup as the 3030 and many other similar sized tractors. The safety chains (turnbuckles, really) bend and/or get stripped threads.

5. Personal preference, but I really would have preferred a shuttle shift to the HST.

The B7800 is lighter weight than some similar powered tractors. This is good for some operations like plowing my driveway, but may not be for tilling.

Before you buy one, look at the differences with the 3030 and compare it with Kioti and Branson for example.

You mention a possible backhoe. I think you will need one using a PTO driven hydraulic pump. I know they exist. Someone on this site has a B7800 and a nice Woods BH so it will operate one.

/ what model to buy?
i now have a l3400 w backhoe,tiller and fel. now i need to find a way to ship it to its home in baja california. im having some pricing shock on the shipping costs from san diego to la paz. my half ton pick up just isnt up to the chalange ( total weight w/all atachments #5000) wish me luck.........thanks again for all the input on this ,kris

/ what model to buy? #13  
krisinak said:
i now have a l3400 w backhoe,tiller and fel. now i need to find a way to ship it to its home in baja california. im having some pricing shock on the shipping costs from san diego to la paz. my half ton pick up just isnt up to the chalange ( total weight w/all atachments #5000) wish me luck.........thanks again for all the input on this ,kris

Well that is a good jump from a bx.:D Congrats! You got a nice setup that should easily handle about anything ya want. What kind of 1/2 ton do ya have that won't tow 5000#? I'd throw the tiller in the bed, hook it up and go, but I don't belong to the "need a 1 ton diesel dually to pull anything" club. Enjoy your new tool.:cool:

/ what model to buy? #14  
I was going to say go for the L!!!!

Good Choice.

/ what model to buy? #15  
kris

Get yourself a tandem axle trailer with brakes on both axles. That plus using a load equalizing hitch and your half ton will handle the tow. You shouldn't be out much more $ than the freight.

A number of years ago I had a GMC 1/2 ton that had drum brakes and boy was it under braked. I liked the truck otherwise so I got a goose neck tandem with brakes on both axles. Loaded it stopped in half the distance than the truck alone. I installed a switch to have 1 or 2 axle braking which made handling light loads easier.

Vernon

/ what model to buy? #16  
I had a L2800HST with a 5' Rhino Shredder, Front End Loader, and 5' Box Blade. It would pull any of the implements and not break a sweat. The 2800 is identical to the 3400 (I believe) and you would be happy with either one.

I did pull a 48" tiller to work on my yard, and that little bugger never missed a beat.

I don't know about the back-hoe though.