What motor oil for '47 Deere model A? Non-detergent?

/ What motor oil for '47 Deere model A? Non-detergent? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
My neighbor is helping someone get there '47 model A started and back into parade form after a 10 year nap in the shed. What type of engine oil to put in it? Note that he's very old school and says the owner's manual says non-detergent so that what should be used. I said that's a 75 year old manual so why couldn't you use detergent oil and rid the suspended contaminants from the oil pan? He said that detergent oil will cause the engine gaskets to deteriorate and the engine will then leak more oil than it does. Plus, he said detergent oils can dislodge crap from the internals of the engine and cause problems.

Any truth to this or is it just a wive's tale?

/ What motor oil for '47 Deere model A? Non-detergent? #2  
My neighbor is helping someone get there '47 model A started and back into parade form after a 10 year nap in the shed. What type of engine oil to put in it? Note that he's very old school and says the owner's manual says non-detergent so that what should be used. I said that's a 75 year old manual so why couldn't you use detergent oil and rid the suspended contaminants from the oil pan? He said that detergent oil will cause the engine gaskets to deteriorate and the engine will then leak more oil than it does. Plus, he said detergent oils can dislodge crap from the internals of the engine and cause problems.

The unit may have Babbitt Bearings. Some say and believe Detergent oil is deadly to them.

Here is some more discussions on Babbitt Bearings and oil.

/ What motor oil for '47 Deere model A? Non-detergent?
   / What motor oil for '47 Deere model A? Non-detergent? #4  
I have a 49G Brockway and stick with the non-detergent.
Brockway 006.jpg

/ What motor oil for '47 Deere model A? Non-detergent? #5  
Brockway tractor very interesting. Need a photo in the Tractordata.com so maybe could submit your good photo to them.

For the OP, why try to talk your neighbor into detergent oil when those old tractors ran for years on non-detergent? Likely a parade run will not put many hours on his tractor.

Last edited:
   / What motor oil for '47 Deere model A? Non-detergent? #6  
Interesting discussion on non-detergent oil. I have a old air compressor it pumps good still today and meets my needs of today which is mainly airing up tires. Years ago when I purchased the unit it had a tag attached that said "Warning" use only non-detergent oil. I have often wondered if the compressor has Babbitt Bearings.

Over the years a quart of non-detergent has increased and increased. Ingersoll Rand really loves there's.

/ What motor oil for '47 Deere model A? Non-detergent? #7  
Brockway tractor very interesting. Need a photo in the Tractordata.com so maybe could submit your good photo to them.
You'll notice that the massive cast iron grill is missing from my photo because my Father's son (me) decided it would be fun to take a drive 62 years ago and picked the wrong gear ..... ending up into a large elm tree ... shattering the grill into hundreds of pieces.
Being there was only 400 some of the tractors manufactured ....... finding a replacement was / is impossible.
Brockway 004.jpg

Last edited:
   / What motor oil for '47 Deere model A? Non-detergent? #8  
You'll notice that the massive cast iron grill is missing from my photo because my Father's son (me) decided it would be fun to take a drive 62 years ago and picked the wrong gear ..... ending up into a large elm tree ... shattering the grill into hundreds of pieces.
Being there was only 400 some of the tractors manufactured ....... finding a replacement was / is impossible.
View attachment 777443

That looks like a reasonable grill.... Nice you still have it. I'd probably value the story more than the original nose.

Up until a few years ago there were several small iron foundaries in the Denver area that would cast whatever you wanted from your pattern.
Prices were reasonable. Several friends had specialized castings done.
Most of what they cast was actually alloy steel rather than cast iron. Better.

/ What motor oil for '47 Deere model A? Non-detergent? #9  

I had an old Gravely with a 12 hp Kohler engine. It always used oil until I switched to M1. After a couple changes, it no longer used oil. Switched out our 1983 240D Benz diesel to synthetic. Those are old wives tales.

/ What motor oil for '47 Deere model A? Non-detergent? #10  
That looks like a reasonable grill.... Nice you still have it. I'd probably value the story more than the original nose.

Up until a few years ago there were several small iron foundaries in the Denver area that would cast whatever you wanted from your pattern.
Prices were reasonable. Several friends had specialized castings done.
Most of what they cast was actually alloy steel rather than cast iron. Better.
So all I need now is to find a non-existent pattern.
download.jpg