What motor oil is in my new 2520?

/ What motor oil is in my new 2520? #1  

dannyk

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota and John Deere tractors 20-40HP; skid steer loader
The 2520 manual and under hood specs call for 5W-30 motor oil for winter, 10W-30 for summer. It seems like 5W-30 would be best for my year around use because the 10W-30 is only good to 20 degrees F, and I don't run the tractor in the heat. The temperature hardly ever exceeds the specs for the 5W-30 anyway up here in the north.

But I wonder if there is some sort of break-in oil in there now or just regular 10W-30? And is it synthetic or dino?

I was looking around at motor oils, but can't find a 5W-30 dino for sale anywhere. There are 5W-40 synthetics, though, so I suppose that is what I will use eventually.

But the immediate question is this: I will only have about 10 hours on the tractor before winter snowblowing season, so my plan is to keep whatever John Deere put in there and religiously use the block heater before winter start ups.

Is this a reasonable plan for a new tractor? The alternative is to put the 5W-40 synthetic in there now, but that might not be a good idea if there is a break-in oil in the engine now. Plus it would be a waste of good oil.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Danny

/ What motor oil is in my new 2520? #2  
Follow the manual recommendation (says 50 hours). Don't think you need to worry about changing oil between summer and winter as the 5W-30 should be good all around for your climate.

Yours sounds like a reasonable plan to me. If it starts without a block heater, I wouldn't use it but do as you feel good about it. ;)

/ What motor oil is in my new 2520? #3  
Doesn't Deere recommend putting another 50 hours of break in oil in at the first 50 hours mark? Seemed to remember that.

As for over the counter, WalMart available oil, they sell diesel rated, Rotella in both 10w-30 semi-synthetic, in silver jug, as well as the full synthetic 5w-40 in the dark blue jug.

Just something to file away for future reference.

Also, doesn't Deere has a 0w or 5w synthetic they sell under their own name?

Your plan sounds just fine to me, btw.

/ What motor oil is in my new 2520? #4  
The JD 5w40 (or 0w40??) synthetic oil has gotten really good reviews on 'Bob is the oil guy' forum..

A lot of ppl just run Rotella 15w40 (dino) year round, all climates..

Brian

/ What motor oil is in my new 2520? #5  
FWIW, I used 0W40 (Mobil 1) in my Mercedes turbo diesels. I asked a JD service tech if it was suitable for my new 3720 (Yanmar engine). He said yes. You won't have to go to the "clean diesel" 5W40 synthetics until DPFs are required on CUTs.

//greg//

/ What motor oil is in my new 2520? #6  
If we change going on the place (farm out daily drivers) be it great or small, gas or diesel it gets Rotella Synthetic 5W-40. We have both a Ford and Chevy Big Block with flat tappets so I like the higher zinc content.

I had used the 15W40 line for diesels in the past. Having one oil for the lawn mower or backhoe makes life more simple. Air cooled engines get hotter so I like the synthetic in them.

/ What motor oil is in my new 2520? #7  
Picked up supplies to do the 50 hr check on my 2520. Everyone at the dealership said to use 15w40, which is contrary to the manuals recommendation of 5w30 for up here in Canada.
Anyhow, went with 15w40.

/ What motor oil is in my new 2520? #8  
When it came time for the first oil change in my 2520, I put in Mobil 1 98HM64 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40
I'm very happy with it. It's hard to find though, you will need to call around.

/ What motor oil is in my new 2520? #9  
I just looked at my receipt from my 50 hour service and the JD dealer put in "15/40 Plus" oil. Should I be concerned?

/ What motor oil is in my new 2520? #10  
Hey dannyk

so my plan is to keep whatever John Deere put in there

Is this a reasonable plan for a new tractor?

:thumbsup: That is the only plan until 50 hours!:)

Your tractor definitely has break in oil and it is petroleum based. Changing this oil is NOT recommended until 50 or even 100 hours. This oil must be used for that period of time for proper seating of engine parts.

Greg