What mower for YM 1510d?

/ What mower for YM 1510d? #1  

yellowdog5

Tractor
Yanmar
I am considering getting a mower for my little Yanmar 1510D, I don't know what mowers would be the right size? Looking for suggestions.

/ What mower for YM 1510d? #2  
Your YM1510D = 1st 2 digits = 15 hp at the PTO or about 18 hp engine, so 4 ft is going to be as large as you want to go if any heavy mowing happens. If you are able to stay on top of the mowing (never get behind due to heavy rains, you might be able to run a 60” mower, but I have doubts. With 60” mower, you probably will need some front counter balance weight. )
The last 2 digits means the older style power shift — shifter located on top of transmission. Newer power shift is YMXX20 and the shifter is up by the steering wheel.
The ‘D’ indicates 4x4.

You may have know all of this, but still good for all of us to be reminded.

/ What mower for YM 1510d?
Thank you I am looking at a 37" flail mower. Looks like it would be maximum? Here are the specs.

Working Width 37”
Overall Width 41”
Min. HP Req. 15 HP
Hitch Cat I
Gear Box Rating 45 HP
Distance Right of Center Mount 16.87 Inches or 21.12 inches
Grass Blades 36 Blades
Comes with Reversible “Y” Blades with precise blade overlap
Standard 3-Pt Category I Hitch Mount
Shear Bolt PTO Shaft for Standard 1-3/8” 6-Spline PTO

/ What mower for YM 1510d? #4  
Thank you I am looking at a 37" flail mower. Looks like it would be maximum? Here are the specs.
Min. HP Req. 15 HP
Weight? That's likely under the 450 or so lbs you can lift easily, but check this. If it wants 15 hp you will be running wide open but that's what the tractor is designed for. Keep the radiator screen clean!

Yes it is under 450 thank you so much for the advice.

/ What mower for YM 1510d? #6  
Weight? That's likely under the 450 or so lbs you can lift easily, but check this. If it wants 15 hp you will be running wide open but that's what the tractor is designed for. Keep the radiator screen clean!

Agreed but I find that those hp ratings unless specifically state are engine hp. So while still he will need to run at the RPM’s for PTO 540 (if marked) or full throttle if not marked, this is the design of the tractor. His engine hp is roughly 18hp on his YM1510D. Not a lot of margin beyond the min but a bit. Not know his tractor, my concern is if 37” of cut is enough to cut the width of his rear tires and id that is an issue for him. If it is a non issue, then I believe it should work fine.

Since it's a flail mower and I don't need it to look like a park, the width should be OK. They do have a 41" one rated at 16hp minimum and still under 450#, I would rather have that one but thought it might be too much for the tractor. What do you think?

/ What mower for YM 1510d? #8  
Just curious what would make you choose the flail mower instead of a rotary cutter if not wanting a park look? I am thinking they are quite a bit more expensive.

/ What mower for YM 1510d? #9  
Just curious what would make you choose the flail mower instead of a rotary cutter if not wanting a park look? I am thinking they are quite a bit more expensive.
Good point. A rotary mower is far simpler, and cheaper. I've read they need less hp for each specific width. I'm running a 4 ft rotary mower with that same tractor (YM186D = YM1510D) and it handles it fine. One of my tasks is to break up debris I've cut down from overhanging oak trees and the rotary mower will shred anything up to 2 inch diameter and hack larger material. Without damaging the mower. I don't know if a flail mower will do this.

Here's YM186D with 4 ft rotary mower at the limit. I was doing ok until it got steeper. I had to take less than a 4 ft cut to mow up this slope at reasonable speed.

163274d1272316572-mowing-big-twin-ym240-vs-p1590065rym186dmow3-jpg

Another mowing pic. Climbing up these terraces, a close-coupled flail mower could follow the terrain better.

The ground we want to mow is quite rough and has rocks, I don't think a rotary mower would survive. But I am learning more about the flail mowers and they don't have the chains like the old ones, I wonder if they are as tough as the ones with chains? Any and all info is welcome and much appreciated, I am very ignorant on the subject of tractor mowers. Oh, another question what about a rotary mower with breakaway blades?

Last edited: