What oil filter? I'm so confused.

/ What oil filter? I'm so confused. #12  
The reason I don't always use the recommended filter is that many times I can find a filter that is better.
One case in point is many older engines and quite a lot of small air cooled engines recommend filters with that have a rating of 30 microns which is larger than 0.001 inch.
There are many filters available that will interchange that have a rating of 21 microns or less which means cleaner oil.
I also like to install larger filters if possible which generally have more filter media for longer life or for me more peace of mind.
My general attitude is that I can do better in most instances.
Tim

/ What oil filter? I'm so confused. #13  
The reason I don't always use the recommended filter is that many times I can find a filter that is better.
One case in point is many older engines and quite a lot of small air cooled engines recommend filters with that have a rating of 30 microns which is larger than 0.001 inch.
There are many filters available that will interchange that have a rating of 21 microns or less which means cleaner oil.
I also like to install larger filters if possible which generally have more filter media for longer life or for me more peace of mind.
My general attitude is that I can do better in most instances.
Tim

There are instances where lower micron ratings inhibit flow characteristics enough that the filter is put in a partial or full bypass situation if a bypass valve is built in. If this happens early in the drain interval cycle, the result over time is less filtration, not more. In the case of hydraulic suction filters lower than design spec micron ratings can create pump cavitation which if ignored can ruin a pump. Filter performance is the sum of several parameters that have to be considered together, not individually.

There are without question many suitable aftermarket filter choices available for many applications. Identifying aftermarket filters that are truly better than OEM filters is rare and often depends more on the buyer's view of 'better' than anything else. It is in the manufacturer's best interest to provide long component life by setting the filtration bar as high as is practical.

/ What oil filter? I'm so confused. #14  
Rickb you are absolutely correct!
As a former shop foreman I have seen engines damaged when switching to a different filter with better filtering capabilities.
My company was on a UOA program provided by the oil supplier and everything was fine until someone decided to change to a filter with better filtering capabilities (smaller micron rating).
Engines were damaged because the new filters were plugging and bypassing before the next scheduled oil change which was previously determined by UOA.
When services are determined by UOA you must realize the oil, filter and machine is a system and when changing any part of the system (oil or filter type) you must again determine the correct service interval per UOA.
Most CUT owners myself included do not have access to UOA to get every mile or hour of use out of our lubricants and I doubt few stray far from the recommended service intervals, so the chances of a filter plugging is very remote.
There are several indicators I use to determine when to change oil.
I sometimes do a blotter test and also evaluate my oil based on color, feel, smell, hours use or time.
The cost of a filter and five quarts of synthetic 5w40 oil is a small price to pay for my peace of mind.

Tim

/ What oil filter? I'm so confused. #15  
I can echo rick in that its simply not worth the risk. We had a 100 HR tractor though last year with a NAPA filter on it that collapsed internally and killed the engine. I never heard if the customer got NAPA to pay for it, but they had a $6000 bill from us that would not have happened had they spent the extra $3-4 for the right filter.

/ What oil filter? I'm so confused. #16  
I agree with you guys. Why try and cheap out on something so expensive??Not worth it.

And supporting your local dealer is a good thing too.

/ What oil filter? I'm so confused. #17  
Iwould not have happened had they spent the extra $3-4 for the right filter.

Um.. how about '-may- not'

ANY filter can collapse.

Nothing to prevent an oem filter from having a factory defect or other environment or engine related issue, causing it to collapse.. unless you can categorically 100% guarantee that all oem filters ever produced will not, won't ever and have never collapsed.. at which point I'd also ask for proof to that statement if you do decide to make it ;)

just playing devil's advocate...

I agree.. oem filters are almst always a better choice..

soundguy

/ What oil filter? I'm so confused. #18  
Hmmm interesting subject this one we have customers that ask for genuine and some that want something cheaper, I will use a non genuine filter if i can but will always use a reputable manufacturer. Most of the a/market filter suppliers will guarantee their filters and i have had both gen and non gen filters cause eng failures and in my experience it is harder to get money out of the genuine co than the a/market one.

Jon

/ What oil filter? I'm so confused. #19  
I'm not cheeping out, I happen to be quite knowledgeable about lubrication & filters. For example I only use name brand lubricants & filters with known & consistent quality. I will not buy Wal-Mart痴 Superteck regardless of the current (good) reviews because that may change if & when Wal-Mart presses their suppliers for more profit margins.
Would it be considered cheeping out if I installed a filter that claimed 3 times the life and protection of the OEM for 5 times the price?
When you know & understand a topic and want to improve upon it, it is not cheeping out when an equivalent or better product is cheaper.
We all do this within our area of expertise.
When you don稚 know (OEM) is the safe choice!

90cummins

/ What oil filter? I'm so confused.
As the OP of this thread, I'm going to come clean and admit that I ended buying a bunch of Donaldson filters online. (for 3 tractors). I was attracted by the price but was surprised at how positive the internet buzz was about them. LOL, now that I've said that I'm sure the negative side will show itself.