what on earth does electricity cost near you?

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #761  
Our physician parking lot is still 50% pickups and SUVs. There is only the big 3 dealers in town, GM, Ford, and Dodge/Ram/Jeep. There is an occasional EV as there is no provision for charging.
a ev really doesnt need to be charged at work. exceptions yes but not for most of the working class

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #762  
I've been asked when charging stations going in and respond none are planed.

I'm afraid the cables would be cut for salvage metal value...

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #763  
.24 per KWH at the moment while totally on Hydro. When the Hydro freezes up and we are back on diesel generation, bill will rise to between .50-.75 per KWH depending on fuel prices.

Dead of Winter, we use between 450-920 KWH per month.

Footnote: I figured in all of the silly fees into the price per KWH. This includes the Meter Fee and the Generation and Transmission Fee.

Last edited:
   / what on earth does electricity cost near you? #764  
Next bill should be very interesting because electricity use during heat wave will be on it.

Every immediate neighbor has said no more... they all plan on adding central A/C... no one had A/C even multi-million dollar homes...

I'm sure some will drop out from sticker shock.

Many think they will simply add to their 15-25 year old central furnace.

Tenants are not happy but a window box is cheap and a few weeks back under $200 end of season clearance ..

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #765  
I have solar so avoiding the increases so far, but I check on the rate increases from time to time just to feel good about my ROI. In California and quoting: The average per kilowatt hour rate for PG&E residents has been increasing by about 4% each year for an increase of 44% since 2008, while U.S. residential solar costs have been decreasing by an average of 12% every year.

It is a bit more complicated than that given tiered rates for levels of use, but it is somewhat useful information generally.

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #766  
I think this is day number 8 with flex power alert...

It's not high temps causing the alert but reduced PV solar production due to smoke and cloud cover...

Air quality due to smoke is bad in large parts of the West...

A now retired solar sales contractor would start every pitch asking if electricity would cost more or less in the future... followed by wouldn't it be smart to own your own power...

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #767  
I think this is day number 8 with flex power alert...

It's not high temps causing the alert but reduced PV solar production due to smoke and cloud cover...

Air quality due to smoke is bad in large parts of the West...

A now retired solar sales contractor would start every pitch asking if electricity would cost more or less in the future... followed by wouldn't it be smart to own your own power...
That speaks to the importance of PV solar production in your area.

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #769  
The hoops our electric co-op makes wannabe PV users jump thru to be able to tie in to our local grid just makes it a nightmare. Not worth the effort.

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #770  
The hoops our electric co-op makes wannabe PV users jump thru to be able to tie in to our local grid just makes it a nightmare. Not worth the effort.
Same here.