what picks hay up better

/ what picks hay up better #21  
OK, love the video.

Well, after getting past the video, there were a few others shown at the end. One wheel rake that has just started in production takes into account rolling terrain with dips and swings. Up to this date no other wheel rakes could flow with the terrain.

For a wheel rake, I would consider this one for larger fields. My filed is long and narrow, so 4-wheels would be my limited width. As for cost of this new generation wheel rake, I'm not certain. Something always too new can be a few more dollars than most. Anyways, hear about it and see below. It is worth the viewing for those needed a wheel rake. The original poster did ask what was better. The really question should be, what would be best for his needs. I can see the valid need for either wheel or rotary. All of us here have our needs in haying too. My land is not flat like TX or NE. Our livestock really needs the best methods that will not break the pocket book either.

A case for wheel rakes looking today and forward as the technology improves ....

/ what picks hay up better #22  
3 things beside the high price that I don't like is Tepee shaped windrow(mentioned by commentator) which makes it more difficult to make an even rd bale than a flat even windrow,12 small tires that one needs to keep aired up and all the moving parts & gearboxes.

BTW how much is the price of the rake in the video???????

/ what picks hay up better #23  
bmaverick
My H&S Hi-cap rake can handle as rough or rougher terrain than the H&S carted rake in the video you posted. Plus the frame on my rake does no obstruct the flow of hay because rake wheels are closer to the raked hay than the rake in the video.

/ what picks hay up better #24  
bmaverick
My H&S Hi-cap rake can handle as rough or rougher terrain than the H&S carted rake in the video you posted. Plus the frame on my rake does no obstruct the flow of hay because rake wheels are closer to the raked hay than the rake in the video.

I bet your wheel hay rake can even be used by an Amish horse team with great success too because there is little technology behind it. I've seen those youtube vids as well. :confused2:

I've even seen the wheel rakes that have no wheels attached to a tractor 3pt hitch. If the tractor bounces, the rake wheels bounce too and bite into the ground. Not a good solution on the low ended technology of the wheel rake. I'm not shorted from keeping air in the tires for a rotary to prevent the dirt and grim getting into my choice alfalfa hay. The rotary only has two wheels for the one I need. The rotary head does the swival balance vs. 12 wheels on a H&S. The the model I'm looking at, like the Italian photo I had posted, will do me just fine. ;) Keeping things clean, organic, and of premium valve goes well with people.

Sure the video posted of the H&S had some neat things for the wheel rake with all of those hydraulic arms to keep the rake wheels balanced with the terrain.

With your location being TX, your wheel rake has not done work in TN as I had stated clearly before. You can keep your wheel rake and admire it for the job it does in the flat land of TX. I on the other hand have more than just a slope or a rolling hill or two. TN has rolling hills for praries and the rock keep coming up every Spring. Can't afford replaing rake wheels in this enviroment. Glad TX is flat and tidy from the rocks.

/ what picks hay up better #25  
3 things beside the high price that I don't like is Tepee shaped windrow(mentioned by commentator) which makes it more difficult to make an even rd bale

I have not once seen any issues for round balers like a New Holland or MF getting tepee windrow into round bales. By the time the round balers comes around the hay is nice and dry laying flatter in the field. Hay does that naturally when it drys.

Also, after watching the video again, the rotary height window seemed shorter in height than the wheel rake. The rotary actually did what Bill's Blogspot talked about for premium hay drying.
Bill's Forage Files: Reducing the Drying Time of Hay and Silage in the Field That's the ticket, getting the hay type you are growing cut, raked and into bales in the best fashion needed. In TX the aride air helps with the drying. In TN, we need more help due to a humid climate.

If we knew the original posters locale, the type of tractor and the type of hay needed, one could properly answer the question with good information rather than making this thread bias of just two solution of rake wheels and rotary rakes. Oh well, I'm just happy with the direction I need for a rotory rake in my neck of the country.

/ what picks hay up better #26  
BTW how much is the price of the rake in the video???????

How should I know that? Since you own H&S equipment, your answer would be easy as a phone call. That behemoth of a zillion wheels behind my tractor is senseless to operate. You could afford it since the JD-4255 is able to pull it with it's price tag. ;)

My JD-850 or Yanmar-2610 can pull a single or twin rotary with ease and maneuver around all kinds of things here in TN. The cost would be about $1,500 for a single and $2,800 for a twin. A wheel rake with 6,8,10 or more would be impossible to get around the fields in my area unless you lived down in the valley after the ridge going out towards GA.

/ what picks hay up better #27  
Rotary worked great for me in last years thin hay, We used a roll a bar and the drying time in the rotary was well worth the $$. The AC's hydraulics work great so it followed the contour of the land. Also changing the pto speed makes a difference in the windrow density.

Attachments

• image-1080576933.jpg
    image-1080576933.jpg
    678.2 KB · Views: 122
   / what picks hay up better #28  
How should I know that? Since you own H&S equipment, your answer would be easy as a phone call. That behemoth of a zillion wheels behind my tractor is senseless to operate. You could afford it since the JD-4255 is able to pull it with it's price tag. ;)

I fail to see how owning a H&S rake gives me any more advantage in learning the price of a NEW piece of equipment than anyone else !! I never stated I pulled my rake with my JD 4255 as it stays hitched to my rd baler. I pull the rake with a Ford 6700. You're correct Texas is arid and no Alfalfa is grown where I live. If you like baling narrow windrows that's fine with me but I choose to bale wider windrow with minimum weaving of baler. PS: I've owned my 4255 since 1993 and it has paid for itself several times over. I never stated a wheel rake was for everyone nor do I think a rotary rake is the ultimate machine. I know one thing you'll wear out a vehicle driving around down here looking for many rotary rakes in ACTION and the same thing applies to finding a NH rd baler in the field.
I hope you have a wonderful day in Tn.
Jim

/ what picks hay up better #29  
We use wheel rakes on all our hay for cattle an we use new holland rotary rakes for the hay we sell