What purpose narrow wheels vs wide spaced wheels?

/ What purpose narrow wheels vs wide spaced wheels? #21  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Does your "B" have a Roll-O-Matic? Those are really cool )</font>

yes it does.

Soundguy

/ What purpose narrow wheels vs wide spaced wheels? #22  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have seen them on the 20 series also. I did not know that you could buy them on the 40 series.

I think the NFE on a ROPS or Hineker cab tractor look really weird /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. I saw either a 2520 or 3020 last summer with a ROPS canopy and NFE. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif )</font>

From what I can gather, they weren't very common on the 40 series. I have a picture of that 4040, siting next to an 8440 4WD. Both were new. It was special ordered, and the last NF tractor Deere produced.

/ What purpose narrow wheels vs wide spaced wheels? #23  
Can you post that picture? I'd love to see it. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ What purpose narrow wheels vs wide spaced wheels? #24  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Can you post that picture? I'd love to see it. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif )</font>

I don't have a scanner. It's in a book. When I get home tonight, I'll post what info I can on the book/author/picture so you can attemt to find it. I believe it's in one of Don MacMillan's Deere "history" books. (1960 to 1990, I believe).

/ What purpose narrow wheels vs wide spaced wheels? #25  
Thanks. I have that book. I saw a picture in there of just the NFE. You can't see the tractor. Did I miss the page somewhere? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ What purpose narrow wheels vs wide spaced wheels? #26  
The tricycle type tractor will turn over easly,5 year ago loaned a neighbor my 40 T J.D.to drag with a rear box blade gravel he had purchased to smooth drive way to house. After this he decided to remove dirt where a cat tractor had removed stumps and was leveling the soil,turning to the right proballly looking to the rear,rolled the left rear tire onto a log and flipped the tractor, he died with the weight of the tractor on top of him. This man was experanced with the equipment ,had been friend for 50 years,This also kills the value of the tractor,no one wants it after a accident,it was sold for scrap.
se'ya ken

/ What purpose narrow wheels vs wide spaced wheels? #27  
Sorry to hear about it Ken!
My dad had a good freind that died with a chainsaw, the guy had been farming for all his life and at age 40 he died from a chainsaw accident.

/ What purpose narrow wheels vs wide spaced wheels? #28  
Most of the wheatland tractors around here didn't even have PTO.