What rope do you like? What knots?

/ What rope do you like? What knots? #51  
The only good application I’ve found for it is on my deer drag rope. But I think its history comes from sailing?
I always thought it was a ancient sailing knot on the end of a light line for heaving to someone on another ship or boat or dock and the light line was used to pull heavier line (hauser) across for whatever reason..... The "original" monkey fist knot actually had a weight inside the knot...

/ What rope do you like? What knots? #52  
Yah, I like that one too. But I'd hold to my list as the ones to learn first. Of course truckers might re-order the priorities to put their hitch above a timber hitch. :)

I guess I could also argue that if you just learned the bowline, you could do nearly everything with that knot, plus the double half hitch everyone already knows. Use the double half hitch when you need something to slip and snug tight, and bowline for literally everything else. Not as efficient as knowing some of the others, but it'll get the job done, and you'll be able to undo it every time.

Then again, I do use a lot of figure-8's. :unsure: :D
Yah, I like that one too. But I'd hold to my list as the ones to learn first. Of course truckers might re-order the priorities to put their hitch above a timber hitch. :)

I guess I could also argue that if you just learned the bowline, you could do nearly everything with that knot, plus the double half hitch everyone already knows. Use the double half hitch when you need something to slip and snug tight, and bowline for literally everything else. Not as efficient as knowing some of the others, but it'll get the job done, and you'll be able to undo it every time.

Then again, I do use a lot of figure-8's. :unsure: :D
Bowline - just remember: the rabbit comes out of the hole, goes around the tree, and back in the hole.