What rpm does JD400 tractor turn 540 on the PTO?

/ What rpm does JD400 tractor turn 540 on the PTO? #1  

BTackett

Gold Member
Reason asking, I have a CUT with a 540 PTO and found a JD tiller and want to know if my diesel will have enough rpm's to turn the specified gas rpm's required for 540 gearing. Does anyone know what Rpms the gas engines turn on a JD to get the 540 pto speed?

Also, does anyone know what rpm's the tines are turning if the PTO is at 540?
I hope I am not confusing anyone.

thanks,
Bill

/ What rpm does JD400 tractor turn 540 on the PTO? #2  
On your tractor, do you have a tachometer? On some there is a little arrow on the dial of the tach that is the point that the engine is turning at "pto" rpm. Some also have a little sticker somewhere near the tach, that will read "1622 engine rpm for 540 pto speed", or some such similar:)

/ What rpm does JD400 tractor turn 540 on the PTO?
I don't have a JD but a Mitsu MT372 diesel. I am wondering about converting a JD tiller to a diesel 540 PTO.

Bill

/ What rpm does JD400 tractor turn 540 on the PTO? #4  
BTackett said:
Reason asking, I have a CUT with a 540 PTO and found a JD tiller and want to know if my diesel will have enough rpm's to turn the specified gas rpm's required for 540 gearing. Does anyone know what Rpms the gas engines turn on a JD to get the 540 pto speed?

Also, does anyone know what rpm's the tines are turning if the PTO is at 540?
I hope I am not confusing anyone.

thanks,
Bill

You're confusing me. Perhaps telling us what model JD tiller you have would help? As far as engine RPMs go, it doesn't matter. If I understand correctly, you have a Mitsu tractor with a 540 RPM rear PTO. Assuming your JD tiller is designed to run off a 540 PTO then you need only set your tractor's engine speed to the spot on the tach to generate 540 rpm at the PTO. Posting the model # of the tiller would also help determine tine speed as well.

Now, if you have a JD tiller designed to run off a 2000 rpm rear pto, you'll need to replace the tiller gearbox to step it down to 540.

/ What rpm does JD400 tractor turn 540 on the PTO? #5  
If your tiller is from a Deere model 400, then it was designed to run off a 2000 rpm PTO, and you will have to replace the gear box as mentioned above.

Thats what I needed to know. I figured the JD rear pto was about 2000 but not sure. That basically answered my questions.

thanks,
Bill

/ What rpm does JD400 tractor turn 540 on the PTO? #7  
I've got a tiller for a JD 430 behind my Mitsu D1550 been working great for about four yrs.I have a three speed pto and I have used all of them in differant soils.

Cool, doesn't the D1550 PTO turn CCW? Are you using a reverse box?

Bill

/ What rpm does JD400 tractor turn 540 on the PTO? #9  
BTackett said:
Cool, doesn't the D1550 PTO turn CCW? Are you using a reverse box?

Bill
Nope mine turns in the proper direction,just odd size shaft,which I am about to rectify

/ What rpm does JD400 tractor turn 540 on the PTO? #10  
The rear PTO on a JD400 is an odd duck - turns at 840 RPM.

Tim