What safety equipment do you have when running chainsaw?

/ What safety equipment do you have when running chainsaw? #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
Not just gloves, hard hat, eye/ear protection, chaps, steel toed boots with ballistic nylon tongues.

What first aid do you carry, while hoping that you never need it? I have a blood clot sponge and a military tourniquet, all in the pocket of my chaps. I'm thinking about moving them to someplace more accessible.

/ What safety equipment do you have when running chainsaw? #2  
I have nothing........except the Stihl helmet with it's ear/eye protection......Has worked for me up to my now 91st birthday. The Lord and my Guardian Angel have blessed me. And I work alone.

Cheer,
Mike

Last edited:
   / What safety equipment do you have when running chainsaw? #3  
shorts, t-shirt, flip flops…..you know, the hard core protective gear.

But seriously, I wear a Stihl helmet with face shield & ear covers. Steel toe shoes. Can’t seem to warm up to wearing the chaps.

/ What safety equipment do you have when running chainsaw? #5  
I only recently started wearing ear protection, I have glasses so I always have that and gloves because I hate getting sap on my hands... I want to get a pair of chaps but I haven't got to it...

For first aide kit we should always have one and know what is inside... most of the time folks gets the small travel one and the dressing are just too small and not enough of them I always get at least a medium size kit. I have one but rarely (by rarely its never)... Also be trained on it, it take more practice to be comfortable to make nice bandages and slings then most people think... I have had many first aid training as a first responder and at only 2 training session a year it took me a full year to become proficient and comfortable in first aid training. I would recommend at least the first responder training the basic first aid is simply don't sped enough time training the bandages IMO.

1710018182987.png

1710018037205.png

Last edited:
   / What safety equipment do you have when running chainsaw? #6  
Gloves and always a hard hat with full face protection and ear protection. Own chaps, never put them on, but have a friend with a permanent limp that chaps would have prevented.

One basic safety rule is to quit when I'm tired. That's when the accident risk dramatically increases.

/ What safety equipment do you have when running chainsaw? #7  
Situational awareness. If you haven't figured out the potential energies... everything that could go wrong.. then that cut waits for another day and reflection till you have it figured out. I absolutely agree that if you start to feel tired, just stop. Its end of the perfect day, where everything worked, whereby you have let your guard down, that is the most dangerous.

/ What safety equipment do you have when running chainsaw? #8  
Gloves and always a hard hat with full face protection and ear protection. Own chaps, never put them on, but have a friend with a permanent limp that chaps would have prevented.
Basically the same for me except add steel toe boots. I have chaps and wear them perhaps half the time, depending on what I am doing.

/ What safety equipment do you have when running chainsaw? #9  
I wear a Stihl helmet with face shield, ear covers and chaps,
Pretty much the same with clear safety glasses behind the face shield. Never thought about a first aid kit, thanks for the idea, will get one ordered!
IMG_5798.jpeg

I recently bought a RH tree pusher made in Sweden it is a great tool if one works alone, drop’s the tree where you want It! 120’ 30”+ at the stump!
IMG_5799.jpeg

Last edited:
   / What safety equipment do you have when running chainsaw?
So far the consensus is that the most important PPE is right between your ears! 👍

I work alone 95+% of the time so it pays to be diligent. As at least one person has suggested, there are times when you need to lay down the saw.

I am considering a retirement contract maintaining about 20 miles of property lines/ year. They want everything done with a chainsaw, including spotting the trees. At times I would be a mile into the woods and several miles from help. I've done it before but was much younger then.