What should be a good diesel engine sound?

/ What should be a good diesel engine sound? #1  

edrobyn

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 1920
Just bought a Ford 1920 about a month ago with 1500 hours on it and not real familiar with the correct sound of this engine. To me it sounds like one cylinder hits harder than the others especially when cold. I know diesels clatter somewhat especially when cold but this engine sounds a little different even when hot. It runs fine and has plenty of power. It seems like one cylinder hits harder than the others expecially at idle. Is this normal for some Ford diesels?

/ What should be a good diesel engine sound? #2  
Used to hear that diesel engines were prone to piston slap when first started. The slap may or may not be a problem.

You might want to have a compression check to see if one cylinder has a problem. Nothing like taking it to a good diesel mechanic to calm your fears.

/ What should be a good diesel engine sound? #3  
Part two of that might be to have the injectors tested for pop off and flow. Something the diesel VW nerds do.

/ What should be a good diesel engine sound?
I checked compression on a gas engine but not a diesel. How is that done?

/ What should be a good diesel engine sound? #5  
Get a deisel compression tester and remove the glow plugs and screw the compression tester in to the glowplog hole. You can find cheap testers on ebay or Harbor Freight. I know the HF tester fits the glowplugs on my 1900.
Bill

Thanks for the suggestion. The next question what would be the allowable difference in compression between cylinders?

/ What should be a good diesel engine sound? #7  
The next answer is....

Get the appropriate shop manual and check the specification for your particular engine.

Always good to have the technical manual anyway.

/ What should be a good diesel engine sound? #8  
the 4 cyl engines run pretty smooth.

you can always take a wrench ( not yer hand!!! ), and crack each injector line, one at a time and see how it effects the sound.

if you find one line making much more or much less effect than the rest, then you get to find out why :)

soundguy

Speaking of finding out why. I know on a gas engine if one cylinder compression is lower then it could be the rings or valves leaking. I am assuming it's the same story for a diesel?

/ What should be a good diesel engine sound? #10  
same principles at work.. just more compression..

soundguy