What size brush hog do I need?

/ What size brush hog do I need? #21  
I love my Woods Brush Bull but if I could do it over I would get a flail mower.........much more compact, does not throw stuff as much but I was new at this as well when I started.

/ What size brush hog do I need? #22  
Which model Kubota? 85 hp on the engine or on the pto?
Hawkline makes a 7-ft BH with a 75hp gearbox that might be a good match for your Bota

Rotary Cutters 2 Page

I have a 6-ft Hawkline model RC72HD50 (50 hp gearbox) that I run on my Mahindra 5525 (54hp engine, 45 hp pto). Cost: $1150 new.

Keep in mind that you have a sheer pin on the PTO shaft ahead of the gear box. I've sheered pins on my 5' brush hog with 60 HP rated gear box with a 25hp tractor.

/ What size brush hog do I need? #23  
I love my Woods Brush Bull but if I could do it over I would get a flail mower.........much more compact, does not throw stuff as much but I was new at this as well when I started.

From my reading on TBN, and specifically the 60+ page "let's talk flail mowers" thread, I'd have to agree with SCDolphin above. Agrisupply offers an amazing deal on the Caroni 6' flail (~1600$). I know it'll be narrower than the 8 or 10 foot rotary's talked about, but it's safer, and WAY easier to maneuver. Someone can correct me, but I think you can generally mow at a higher speed with a flail too. The cost of a lot of other brands can be an issue (woods, landpride, etc), but the Caroni is much better in that regard.

Now, having said all that, my mower hasn't cut a single blade of grass yet!! But from everything I've read people are happy.

-Jer.

/ What size brush hog do I need? #24  
JJRennie:

What did you end up doing? Any more information regarding area you will be mowing, or the other questions folks asked?

/ What size brush hog do I need? #25  
If you spend a little time looking at the Rotary Cutter Section of the Woods website, you'll notice that the gearbox HP ratings go up with duty rating more than with size. For example a lighter duty 7' rotary may have a 90 hp gearbox where the heavy duty 7' has a 200 hp box. Gearbox power rating is all about ruggedness and design margin - which translates to machine life and survivabilty of the occasional insult (read large rock). If your place is machine-friendly then a light duty will be ok. If it has more hazards you'll want more beef.

Something that people don't realize is that companies like Woods, Bush Hog, Land Pride, Rhino, Schulte, etc. don't all use the same rating system to rate their gearboxes, even though a majority of them are identical on the inside even if that have a different case or housing. They use it as much as a marketing tool (ie - increased gearbox HP rating means it will last longer) which simply isn't true. Woods will rate a gearbox at 65, Bush Hog will rate the same gearbox as 80, when in fact the company that it was bought from (Omni for instance) rates it at 40, which is where King Kutter rates it.

/ What size brush hog do I need? #26  
Hey Keyser, welcome to the board! A question, your name rings a bell, did you used to be an on line gamer? Does Outlaws ring a bell? I used to be DeadFlat in a few on line FPS games.

/ What size brush hog do I need? #27  
Ridgewalker,

Thanks for the welcome. But, no. That isn't me. I don't do the online gaming thing. Just never got into it. I did notice you're from Missouri. I am too.

Take care.

keyser

/ What size brush hog do I need? #28  
As a rule of thumb, I always make sure my gearbox and driveline components are rated above ptohp. I learned the hard way slip clutches don't always slip some time ago. Cost me a fuel tank, SMV sign, remote lines and a new pair of drawers. Gearbox was ok.

/ What size brush hog do I need? #29  
Hey Keyser, welcome to the board! A question, your name rings a bell, did you used to be an on line gamer? Does Outlaws ring a bell? I used to be DeadFlat in a few on line FPS games.

Nah, he's just one of the usual suspects. :)

/ What size brush hog do I need? #30  
I just posted this on another thread but thought it worthwhile posting here:

For 5 years we ran a single blade 5' Landpride mower with no problems. Worked great even in brush. Recently traded up to a 10' dual blade RCR 25. Within a couple of hours it broke down with a broken gear. The dealer replaced the unit and within a few hours, again, one of the gearboxes broke down with a broken gear. The dealer contacted LandPride to advise them that they had a gearbox problem. There was no evidence of abusing the unit. At any rate, the gearbox should be the last thing to fail. The company denied having any problems but they are going to replace the RCR 25 with an RCF 30 which is supposed to be more rugged. We'll see what happens, but I would be cautious in ordering a LandPride RCR 25. Kubota M7060HD Tractor/Loader 70 HP