Rotary Cutter What size brush hog should I get?

/ What size brush hog should I get? #1  

mopower01

Tractor
Bolens, Kubota B8200dt
I have a Kubota B8600 and I have been wanting to get a brush hog to mow the field behind my house. My question is what size should I get. I would like to have a 5' one, but my uncle seems to think it will only handle a 4'. I will be running this on some hills and will still need some power to climb them. What do you think? The PTO is rated at 17hp, I think, and the engine at 19hp.

/ What size brush hog should I get? #2  
I have a Kubota B8600 and I have been wanting to get a brush hog to mow the field behind my house. My question is what size should I get. I would like to have a 5' one, but my uncle seems to think it will only handle a 4'. I will be running this on some hills and will still need some power to climb them. What do you think? The PTO is rated at 17hp, I think, and the engine at 19hp.

The rule of thumb is that it takes 5 horses at the PTO for each foot of mower. If your planning on cutting thick grass and brush, I'd go with your uncles advice.

/ What size brush hog should I get? #3  
My 21/17pto tractor ran fine in the hills with a 4', but overheated with a 5'. My solution was a bigger tractor....

/ What size brush hog should I get? #4  
I run a 5 foot behind a 25 hp tractor. It handles it fine in regular mowing, but bogs down in heavy stuff. I had a little case tractor/lawn mower that was 18 hp. It ran a 4 foot ok but couldn't keep the front wheels on the ground. We sold the 4 foot cutter and just used the belly mower.

/ What size brush hog should I get? #5  
I've been running a 5' Hico for 32 years with my tractor and supposedly it's only got 11 PTO HP. I say supposedly because the tractor has done things over the years that are impossible for so few horses. Steroids in the oil maybe? Anyway, yes, I think your machine can run a 5 foot, I'll be honest, there isn't much difference in mowing times between a 4' and 5' on a small tractor. That's because with a 4' you can move a little faster and lift it more quickly if you're about to bog down. 32 years ago all I could afford was a used cutter, and there were no used, 4-foot cutters for sale around here.

/ What size brush hog should I get? #6  
I run a 5 ft. on my 2650 which has about the same pto hp. as yours . I was very skeptical and wanted the 4 ft. but dealer let me try out the 5 ft. and was happy I did as it covers my wheel width , the 4 ft. didn't . That being said , I wouldn't want to cut really heavy material of any kind , and don't . I have a bigger tractor for that . If I was going to cut heavy hay or what ever, up some slopes etc., I would go 4 ft. , but like mentioned above you can always just go slower .

/ What size brush hog should I get? #7  
I'd go with the 4' if it covers your tracks.

/ What size brush hog should I get? #9  
Another vote for a 48" cutter.

Will

/ What size brush hog should I get? #10  
The question is not only whether you have the PTO horsepower to run the 5' cutter, but also whether you can safely lift it with your 3 point lift.

Do you know what the 3 pt. lift capacity of your tractor is? Do you know how much the 5' cutter weighs? Do you have a FEL or any counterweight on the front of the tractor? Remember that a rotary cutter hangs way back there behind your tractor, so the fulcrum effect magnifies that weight. The 4' cutter will be a little lighter and a little shorter in length.