Tractor Sizing what size disc do i need for ym 240?

/ what size disc do i need for ym 240? #1  

bassfishrman

Tractor
YM 240
I am looking to purchase a disc to keep up garden and a couple of deer plots. What size is best suited for my ym240?

thanks in advance for recommendations...

/ what size disc do i need for ym 240? #2  
I wish I knew. I can tell you 6 ft is too big. Maybe my experience can help you decide.

My YM240 came with a Leinbach disc, 6 ft wide and 650+ lbs. Sixteen pans, 18-inch size I think.

The previous owner said he used it a couple of years in a flat, flood-irrigated walnut orchard but could never get it to dig in. Adding ballast just caused wheelspin or stalled the tractor.

Here everything is on a slope and it's not suitable. It won't dig in plus I can't pull it uphill. I tried 125 lbs ballast on the front (shown here) then an additional 150 lbs on the back, and finally decided on no ballast to run at a reasonable ground speed. I've loaded the rear tires (and they are oversize 12.4x24) so I don't often lose traction but even in a low crawl gear it won't get down more than 3 inches after several passes. In the attached photo I've gone around the perimeter of my neighbor's side yard about 4 times and that short ground cover still hasn't been turned under.

Another neighbor, a real 3rd generation farmer, uses a big disc for orchard tilling. He looked at mine and said it is intended for smoothing after plowing with a much larger tractor.

Presently I have the upper link short to load the disc weight on the disc's front axle. (And on the tractor's drive axle to improve traction). The back pans just skim along to fill in the furrows. This will pull in H-3 downhill and H-2 uphill but its not cutting very deep.

I'm considering a rototiller.

Would anyone with a larger tractor like to buy this disc?

/ what size disc do i need for ym 240? #3  
I think anything bigger than 48" is gonna be a hard pull except in sand or pre - tilled / plowed earth.

( my 1700 hated my 6' ford disc )

Soundguy

/ what size disc do i need for ym 240? #4  
bassfishrman,

Best of luck with a small disc.

I used a Howard Rotovator (tiller) running off of the YM 240D PTO at 540 rpm to work a two acre food plot for wildlife and a half acre garden.

corey

/ what size disc do i need for ym 240? #5  
I have a ym2000 which is the same size as your YM240, I use a set of 4' disk with know problem plus I add up to 100 pounds of addtional weight to dig deeper in the dirt, Also the 4' is the same width as the Tractor which makes it easier to get around trees etc.

/ what size disc do i need for ym 240?
I found a used 5ft howse disc for a price that I could not pass up. After giving it a try, it appears to be too heavy for my 240. I can disc with it as long as I go in a straight line. If I try to turn, the tractor bogs down and the front of the tractor lifts up. I added 50 lbs of weight to the front which helps with the lifting problem, but I still believe the disc is too much for my tractor. I don't consider it a loss since I could get my money back plus some. I will use it to keep up my garden until I can locate a 4 ft one. Hope my experience helps someone else who is looking to buy a disc.

/ what size disc do i need for ym 240? #7  
Pull some blades off... Make it a 4'

Soundguy

/ what size disc do i need for ym 240? #8  
Running the disc at an angle with the rear up makes the outer disc dig in more than the center. another thing you can try is taking the rear set of disc off. This will make it the equivalent of a 3' disc because you will need to overlap 1/2 width to cover the center cut of the disc. On the farm I grew up on we had to use a single section disc to cut hard ground. It is slow but will get the job done.

/ what size disc do i need for ym 240?
thanks to everyone for the suggestions

when i get time, i plan to remove the back pair of discs. that should remove enough weight from the implement. i will have to make more passes, but it will be much easier on the tractor and operator

/ what size disc do i need for ym 240? #10  
bassfishrman,

Best of luck with a small disc.

I used a Howard Rotovator (tiller) running off of the YM 240D PTO at 540 rpm to work a two acre food plot for wildlife and a half acre garden.

corey, dose Howard Rotovator make a good tilller? i being lookin at a 4' land pride reverse tiller @1800.00 Has anybody have any luck with Yanmar tillers