What size FEL hooks

/ What size FEL hooks #1  

Scruffy1

Tractor
Kubota B2620
Hey Guys,
I read through the other 1000 posts on FEL hooks and learned a lot. I am getting ready to put some hooks on my B2620. I am planning on having the 3x3 angle welded across the top of the bucket. I am thinking of having 1 slip hook on the top center and 1 slip hook on the back of bucket between the lift arms.

Now here is the question: I want 2 grab hooks on the top of the bucket, just outboard of the lift arms by 2" to 4" (1 hook on each side) I have a 5/16" chain but I was thinking of having 3/8" grab hooks welded on. Will the 3/8" grab hooks work ok with my 5/16" chain? The reason I am thinking of 3/8" hooks is I can the use the larger chain as well. I just don't have experience in using these hooks and don't know how much slop is in these hooks or is the groove pretty tight fitting. I am assuming a 3/8" chain would not fit in a 5/16" grab hook.
Thanks for the advise guys.

/ What size FEL hooks #2  
5/16" chain will hold fine in a 3/8" grab hook...but 3/8" is way overkill for your machine.

/ What size FEL hooks
It's not that I would require a 3/8" chain for lifting, I am just trying to think ahead in the event of using a 3/8" because of availablity not because of lift capacity. Maybe I am just thinking too far outside of the box. I just wanted to get some opinions from others after they used their hooks if they would have done something different.

/ What size FEL hooks #4  
Sell your 5/16 chain for scrap metal and get some 1/4 grade 70 and 1/4 inch hooks. At days end you'll be glad you did.

/ What size FEL hooks #5  
Hey Guys,
I read through the other 1000 posts on FEL hooks and learned a lot. I am getting ready to put some hooks on my B2620. I am planning on having the 3x3 angle welded across the top of the bucket. I am thinking of having 1 slip hook on the top center and 1 slip hook on the back of bucket between the lift arms.

I find that every hook and projection welded to the top of a bucket gets used.

I've set up my last few buckets with a length of heavy wall round steel tubing welded across the top instead of angle iron. The stuff I use is about twice the wall thickness of normal steel pipe. It's Pricier than steel angle, but nicer to look at and easier on the chain

I like a "clean" installation, so my hooks are usually welded to a piece of steel mounting plate which is then bolted to the bucket. That allows me to put a plate or some really heavy large washers inside the bucket which farther spreads out the stress.

Plus there are a couple of closed rings mounted close to the ends of the bucket. These are for tying rope or hooking the ends of nylon straps for when I'm roping a large item into the bucket to take it somewhere.

I've got a some heavy chains for ultimate strength, but usually end up carrying and using a couple of 12 foot lengths of quarter inch lifting chain with grab hooks on each end. This chain is light enough to handle easily and strong enough to big chain all day. I like a chain with short wide links for flexibility and prefer either no coating or galvanized over (ugh) paint or plastic coating.
good luck, rScotty

Attachments

• Additional Bucket hooks_cropped.JPG
    Additional Bucket hooks_cropped.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 461
   / What size FEL hooks #6  
I welded 3/8 grab hooks on my bucket for a couple of reasons.
I can use it to tie something into the bucket with a piece of rope. While chain is great for lifting something off the ground rope is better to keep odd shaped things in the bucket securely. I doubt that my tractor (B7800) can lift anything that would be too heavy for 1/4 chain but the larger hook gives more options. By the way a decent length of 3/8 chain is heavy and it is way overkill. I tend to use 1/4" for most general lifting.

/ What size FEL hooks #7  
I like a chain with short wide links for flexibility rScotty
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Exactly, and that is why it works so well pulling smaller saplings like an inch in diameter using a special knot.

/ What size FEL hooks #8  
Here's my B3030 with weld-on hooks and reinforced.

Attachments

• B3030 hooks.jpg
    B3030 hooks.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 396
   / What size FEL hooks #9  
Here's my B3030 with weld-on hooks and reinforced.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's a real nice job. I like that angle iron idea like so many people reinforce with. My old eyes probably won't let me weld that good anymore but I gotta glob some on some way some how.

/ What size FEL hooks
Well after stopping at a hardware store I got to see some grab hooks they had. I decided to go with the 5/16" hooks, a 3/8" link still slid into it. Everyone take it easy now. I am not planning on using 3/8" chain!!!! But I want options like Easygo did with his. LQPappy, nice set up with your hooks, thats what I intend on doing with mine. In the center of the bucket I want to put a slip hook and then on the heel of the bucket in the center a slip hook as well and maybe a grab hook to. Unsure yet on that one. I totally understand what everyone is saying about 1/4" chain being lighter and sufficient. But where I live there is an abundant of 5/16" chain since most guys are loggers, it's like all they use so I'd be a fool to put hooks on my tractor that could not handle the chain I would encounter. You can use the 1/4" on your tractor if you like.