Grapple What Size Grapple Do I Want?

/ What Size Grapple Do I Want? #11  
I don't think the big issue is 48 vs 60. Although I've always advocated the 48, I'm sure both work very well. You just need to be careful about the extra weight.

The bigger point I keep trying to make is that people should not buy grapples the same size as their standard bucket, especially if that bucket is 72 inches or more.

I agree with that, my bucket is 72" and I have often wished it was only 60" when digging with it. But for general pickup or moving a truck load of stone or such then I am happy with the 72". I can't even imagine how irriatated I would be with myself if I would have gotten a 72" grapple. For picking individual rocks up or digging rootballs out the 48" grapple would be better then the 60", but looking at an overall average use the 60" has been excellent.

/ What Size Grapple Do I Want? #12  
One benefit to the 60 inch Millonzi is that there are two cylinders and two "jaws". This means that for larger or awkwardly shaped items, it can grip it at two points. Other than that, I would say that 60 inch is as big as you need since longer loads tend to unbalance the tractor.

/ What Size Grapple Do I Want? #13  
I just ordered a 60" LD from Markham Welding, for $855 delivered I don't see how there is a better value out there, I spoke with a shop in NY that sold Millonzi and he told me he would soon be offering the same product but he quoted me $1850 for a LD 60" model plus shipping, I liked the looks of the WR long but all the dealers I spoke with wanted retail to order me one, if Long sold direct I would probably already have one but now I'm glad I waited, I should have the grapple the first of next week so I'll post my comments however I won't be able to use it right away as I need to add the 3rd function remote yet.

I have a Kubota 3240 with the LA724 and 72" QA HD bucket, my bucket weighs around 450 lbs so I feel the Markham 60 will be a good match.

/ What Size Grapple Do I Want? #14  
One benefit to the 60 inch Millonzi is that there are two cylinders and two "jaws". This means that for larger or awkwardly shaped items, it can grip it at two points. Other than that, I would say that 60 inch is as big as you need since longer loads tend to unbalance the tractor.

You mean to securely grapple big odd shaped objects like this: (Note 48" single jaw grapple):D

23268IMG_2868_450_x_600_.jpg

/ What Size Grapple Do I Want? #15  
I just ordered a 60" LD from Markham Welding, for $855 delivered I don't see how there is a better value out there,.

Agree. With Millonzi out of the picture, Markham is the obvious place to get a grapple these days. I'd opt for the 48 with extra spacer tines myself but both the 48 and 60 seem like excellent values.

/ What Size Grapple Do I Want? #16  
Holy crap Island,
Looks like you've got an elephant stuck on your grapple!:)
I don't think you need those extra spacer tines after all?

/ What Size Grapple Do I Want? #17  
I have a 48" light duty grapple on a 41hp tractor with a higher capacity FEL than the Kubota. I'd recommend a 48" for general use on any tractor up to about 50hp. If you are really just picking up small short sticks or construction debris then a 60 inch or larger might make sense but there are downsides to larger grapples. Many people make the mistake of thinking that a grapple should be the same width as their loader. Not. Narrower means more manuverable, lighter and allows you to put more force into a single spot.

My grapple was made by Millonzi who appear to be out of business now. WRLong makes and equivalent and Markham has just started making an equivalent too. The Markham looks pretty much like the WRLong but you can buy it direct rather than needing to go through a dealer so it will save you several hundred bucks at least.

Not so sure about the several hundred bucks savings you mentioned. I went to my dealer that was not a WR Long distributor and had them order me the grapple at no additional cost except a $15 dollar handling fee. Then again the sales people at the dealer eye's light up everytime they see me coming $$$$$

/ What Size Grapple Do I Want? #18  
Not so sure about the several hundred bucks savings you mentioned. I went to my dealer that was not a WR Long distributor and had them order me the grapple at no additional cost except a $15 dollar handling fee. Then again the sales people at the dealer eye's light up everytime they see me coming $$$$$

The list price for the WRLong is the dealer list price, not what WR Long sold the grapple to the dealer for. Usually there is shipping involved as an extra too. Look at the price Markham is charging for a very similar 60 inch grapple direct to consumer: $900 including shipping. I don't think the WRLong plus dealer cut can come close to that and I presume Markham is making a profit.

/ What Size Grapple Do I Want? #19  
The list price for the WRLong is the dealer list price, not what WR Long sold the grapple to the dealer for. Usually there is shipping involved as an extra too. Look at the price Markham is charging for a very similar 60 inch grapple direct to consumer: $900 including shipping. I don't think the WRLong plus dealer cut can come close to that and I presume Markham is making a profit.

Sorry IT, I thought you ment that the dealer was marking up the unit by several hundred dollars. On the other post about the Markham grapple I said that I bet Markham's new grapple @ $900 is giving WR Long fits.

/ What Size Grapple Do I Want? #20  
Sorry IT, I thought you ment that the dealer was marking up the unit by several hundred dollars. On the other post about the Markham grapple I said that I bet Markham's new grapple @ $900 is giving WR Long fits.

I saw your other post after answering this one. The WRLong products are superb. The prices are high because of the middle man. In this era of internet savvy consumers however the traditional business model with the dealer in the middle doesn't always work. For someone showing up to buy a new tractor package it certainly makes sense to go through the dealer and for those unwilling or unable to deal with specifications and various purchase arrangements themselves even an aftermarket dealer middle man makes sense. I think however for most people who take initiative to do their own homework (i.e. most folks on TBN), the availability of direct to consumer sales is very appealing. As I recall you went that way initially but had trouble with the Millonzi pin fittings so you reverted to WRLong which mandates the dealer intermediary.

The Markham 900 dollar price is giving more than just WRLong fits. It's giving me fits...I want another.:D I mean people have more than one mower right?:eek: