What size hose to use for 28 gpm?

/ What size hose to use for 28 gpm? #1  

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.
The title is pretty self explanatory here. The options are pretty much 1/2 or 3/4 ID. I would go with 3/4 except the pressure rating is lower and it's cutting it pretty close.

/ What size hose to use for 28 gpm? #2  
For constant flow applications such as an orbit motor 3/4 is a better choice. If the hose you are looking at is rated higher than your system relief, buy it. If the hose you are looking at isn't rated properly, find a different hose. It's not difficult.

/ What size hose to use for 28 gpm? #3  
28 GPM thru a 3/4 diameter hose is around 38 feet per second flow velocity. If this is constant flow that will create heat and possibly aerate the oil due to the turbulence this velocity will create.

/ What size hose to use for 28 gpm? #4  
3/4" would be minimum. What pressure you running at?

3/4" R2 and R16 hose is ~3100psi range. Or some of that tough cover (abrasion resistant stuff) is 4000psi+

1/2" hose with 28gpm.....might as well drop it to a 22gpm pump.

/ What size hose to use for 28 gpm? #5  
The title is pretty self explanatory here. The options are pretty much 1/2 or 3/4 ID. I would go with 3/4 except the pressure rating is lower and it's cutting it pretty close.

Really the options should be 3/4" or 1" depending on length of hoses and number of fittings and their losses. For high pressure applications in larger sizes you may need to step up to 4 wire hose.

Forget the 1/2" hose for this application it simply is too small.

/ What size hose to use for 28 gpm? #6  
What size fittings are you using? They are probably going to be your limfac.

/ What size hose to use for 28 gpm?
The cylinder is 3/4 o ring boss. Valve is probably 3/4 pipe. Aside from that it's all up in the air.

/ What size hose to use for 28 gpm? #8  
The cylinder is 3/4 o ring boss. Valve is probably 3/4 pipe. Aside from that it's all up in the air.

If the use is a cylinder, use 1/2" hose. The flow interval isn't long enough to create any heating problems. See my post #2 above. Your port size is the limiting factor anyway.

Now all the armchair theorists and fluid engineers here can flame away.

/ What size hose to use for 28 gpm? #9  
Correct. Heating wouldn't be my concern. Speed would.

Hose needs to flow MORE than 28gpm.

Depending on cylinder and rod/bore size, on retract, if you are cramming 28gpm into the rod side, significantly more gpm is coming out the base port. Probably closer to 40gpm.

As said, 3/4" minimum. 1" better.

/ What size hose to use for 28 gpm? #10  
4570Man, if you gave a bit more information on the application, people would be able to give better answers.