What size plow

/ What size plow #21  
The above posts explain in great detail why i suggested a single bottom 12 inch plow to do this job as it would be smooth sailing for him until it broke a shear pin.

Even if he bought abrand new single bottom plow he could probably buy a Weiss conservation tillage share that would allow him to plow 14 inches deep and break the hard pan each and every year and have good loose soil that he could add gypsum and lime too before he plowed it under.

my thoughts on cold sunday afternoon.

/ What size plow #22  
I plow ten acres a year with a 2/12 behind a 44HP Kubota ,did the same with a 31 HP Kubota...4wd for the most part with the smaller tractor.This is in the rocky North east.

/ What size plow #23  
Leonz, respectfully - you're giving terrible advice. You can't plow 14" deep with a 12" wide bottom. It is generally accepted that the proper depth for a plow to be running is half it's width. Thus, a 12" plow should run 6" deep. Not saying you can't go a couple inches deeper, but there is no way you could plow 14" deep with a single bottom 12" plow.

AND....I stand by my previous statement. A single bottom 12" plow is ludicrous for a 50 horsepower 4wd tractor.

/ What size plow #24  
I have a 40 horse Mahindra 4035 with loaded rears and a FEL. I use an older double 14 Dearborn plow with coulters. This setup has worked excellent for me in previously worked ground and never plowed areas with very thick sod.

/ What size plow #25  
There's probably a good reason that Ford plow's points/shares, and moldboard look so good, with the welded hitch. It didn't work so good. A lesson I learned a long time ago when going with uncle's and buddies plow shopping. They'd always look for the one's with those items well worn for two reasons. One reason, it could be bought cheaper, but the main reason, that plow would plow well. That's how it got in that shape.

And rule of thumb around here is, with whatever width share you end up with... Plowing depth is usually set at half the share width. Around here, topsoil thickness varies quite a bit, so most bought plows using that formula, to plow just deep enough to turn the topsoil, not so much on share width, as far as determining how much width was turned.

And I'm not quite sure I understand why someone would want to plow much deeper than that. Most crops I know of grow in 6 - 8" of prepped soil. Any deeper, and you're only making the hardpan further down, and harder to eventually break up. If ever it comes a time you do develop a hardpan, getting a subsoiler, and running diagonal to the direction you moldboard plow will break it up. Much easier to pull one at 9 - 10" deep, than 16 - 18" deep. Plus the fact running way deeper than it was designed for, you loose what I would refer to as the action of the moldboard. Dirt literally going over the top of the moldboard, instead of being turned over, to cover the previous crop residue. It took me a while to convince a buddy of mine who moved out from town, and was complaining of how badly his little A-C CA tractor and plow were doing such a bad job of plowing. It took all of 20 minutes to get it adjusted to get it to plow like it was intended. It would have probably taken less time if he'd been paying attention, and stopped when I wanted him to, to readjust. Just mesmerized buy the turning dirt I reckon'..., LOL...

Also look real close at used plows for bent beams, coulters on it, tail wheel condition, if it has one, etc. And when you find one, and start plowing, go a little slower the first year or so, in case you do find some sizeable rocks, at least on top. Around here, there have been a few work up closer to the top through freeze and thaw cycles over the years. A plow with a bent beam is about worthless.

/ What size plow #26  
Oh yeah... fordoutback... I'd love to have your 'tater digger..!!

/ What size plow #27  
I was really lucky the day I found this. It was headed to the scrapyard at one point before the person I got it from decided to use it for a lawn ornament. It was all bent up from being wadded up with a skid-steer and it took me about 10 hours with torches, big pipe wrenches and a sledge hammer to straighten it out and get everything turning the way it should.

/ What size plow #28  
I agree that a single bottom plow is poor advice for a 50 hp tractor. My FIL used a Massey Ferguson 35 (37 engine hp) and later a MF 135 (45 engine hp) to pull the plow I now use with my Kubota MX5100. It is a Dearborn 2 bottom 14 ". He plowed as much as 25 acres in late fall for tobacco and corn. It took days to get it done with a two bottom plow. With a single bottom he may have been able to plow faster but still likely would have taken days because the speed could not have been double. I have on occasion used the Farmall 140 to pull the two bottom plow in light soil here and it is a 24ish hp tractor.

He taught me that plowing and subsoiling are two different processes. Plowing more than 8" or so deep is difficult in heavy soil and subsoiling is often necessary to break the land prior to plowing. Anything deeper than 8 or so inches tends to waste fuel and time, at least for the crops we plant. Subsoiling deeper is a different matter since pulling a single point subsoiler is somewhat easier than pulling a turning plow.

The idea of plowing 14" deep is not practical where I live. I may have missed it, has the OP said his soil type?

/ What size plow #29  
I missed one last fall at an auction for two reason's... I was thinking the sale was a week later, and they did NOT list it in the auction listing. It was buried under "stuff" in a building, and covered up. I'm thinking it went reasonable... I have a search out on AuctionZip, Clazads, and there are some deals... 800 miles away, LOL...

/ What size plow #30  
Leonz, respectfully - you're giving terrible advice. You can't plow 14" deep with a 12" wide bottom. It is generally accepted that the proper depth for a plow to be running is half it's width. Thus, a 12" plow should run 6" deep. Not saying you can't go a couple inches deeper, but there is no way you could plow 14" deep with a single bottom 12" plow.

AND....I stand by my previous statement. A single bottom 12" plow is ludicrous for a 50 horsepower 4wd tractor.

I disagree, but its fun to talk about anyway. I suggested Weise conservation tillage plow shares as ar eplacement for the stock plow share only because it has good suck AND very low drag due to the design. Several of the National Corn Growing Contest winners use the Weise conservation tillage plows.

Edit: The beauty of the Weise design is that it is mini moldboard plow which reduces the amount of drag while plowing.

www.weiseindustries.com/conservationtillageplows

Last edited: