What size PT

/ What size PT
Dear Forum-
Thanks for the responses, I am taking my mechanic to lunch today and wil see what he says about being able to service the PT's. Bird, Mossroad, Bill, Bob and Charlie I will try to take my time and have sworn to my wife that I will not purcahse a new tractor before my next birthday in January. i must say it is a little difficult because the jobs a tractor could help me with are piling up and let's face it...Tractors (Old A-frame Farmall, CUT, PTs) are so cool /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!

I agree that for me I will probalby get a CUT because I need a dealer. However, let me ask a new question. If you are doing primarily loader work, which machine would YOU prefer, CUT or PT???

Thanks again

PS the PT listed in the TBN classifieds has been sold

/ What size PT #12  
<font color="blue"> If you are doing primarily loader work, which machine would YOU prefer, CUT or PT??? </font>

I have a large IH2500B industrial tractor/loader with 3pt hitch. Basically, it is similar to a beefy farm tractor with a FEL. It is hydrostatic. I used the heck out of it for a few years. A Power Trac of similar size would eat it alive in productivity. No questions asked. Just that simple. That's a fact. You can take that to the bank. Bet the farm on it. It's in the hole. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ What size PT #13  
<font color="blue">( If you are doing primarily loader work, which machine would YOU prefer, CUT or PT??? )</font>

Which model CUT and which model PT and what are you loading? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif The PT does have some advantages, I think. Quick attach implements (different buckets, forks, etc.) are standard equipment; optional on some CUTs. The PT engine in the rear kinda takes care of some the counterweight needs of CUTs. The ability to turn the wheel back and forth a bit to "slice" into sod or soil can help with getting into hard stuff. That might be offset to some degree with a toothbar on a CUT. But either one will do the job if you get the right size and/or have enough time. Your choice. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I see David (Mossroad) typed a little faster than I did. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif And he has the experience with the PT that I don't have, so I'm pretty sure he's right. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ What size PT #14  
I've never used a PT but I've used loaders that are the same basic design as a PT (rear engine/articulated) and I would say that there is NO COMPARISON between a tractor with a loader and a PT-Type loader. The PT-type would easily do 50% more work in the same amount of time, and I think I am being very conservative with that estimate!!!

/ What size PT #15  
<font color="blue">Which model CUT and which model PT and what are you loading? </font>

Yep, Bird, that is the key statement. We have to compare machines of similar weight, lift height, etc... for a fair comparrison. That's why it would be fun to have a tractor roundup somewhere, someday. We could compare these units side by side. It would be fun. However, with small kids, school, work, after school activities and such, it would be about impossible for me to get to such an event more than an hour or two from home. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif That's why TBN is so nice. So many people have more than one tractor or experiences with different units. You can get opinions from folks that have actually used two pieces of equipment that you want to research. This place is an invaluable tool in the hunt for a compact utility tractor. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ What size PT #16  
<font color="red"> If you are doing primarily loader work, which machine would YOU prefer, CUT or PT???
</font>
We have a John Deere 2240 with loader. It will lift higher than my PT1845, but in every other way, the PT beats it. The PT is much more maneuverable, will handle at least as much weight, probably more, and can change among large bucket, 4 n 1 digging bucket, snow blade, front hoe, etc. in seconds.
The JD is only two-wheel drive and a gear tractor, so the PT has more traction although it is lighter. The PT pedal controls make forward-reverse functions much easier that the Deere.
The Power Trac will compete with a similarly powered dedicated loader, way beyond a CUT's capability.

/ What size PT
Good news,
My mechanic said that if I am dumb enough to purchase a piece of equipment that I don't know how to service and there is no dealer support for, that he will be happy to charge me an arm and a leg learning how to repair hydraulic drive motors /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

OK - it sounds like PT's do loader work pretty efficiently.

I promise, last two questions (on this thread anyway):
1) does the "joint" on an articulated mower receive a lot of stress when doing loader work and does this effect lifespan?

2) Would you prefer rough cutting with a mower behind a CUT or rough cutting on a PT with a mower in front of you?

/ What size PT #18  
<font color="red"> 1) does the "joint" on an articulated mower receive a lot of stress when doing loader work and does this effect lifespan? </font>
Certainly, the center joint has stress applied when loader work is being done, and is designed for it. There have been some instances of damage to the center joint in the small machines, requiring a weld-in of a new heim end. I believe there has been a stronger joint installed in in the new 425. (Anyone remember exactly? This would be a good thing to ask Terry Estep at PT.) I've not heard of any problems with the heavier joint in the diesel machines.
<font color="red">

2) Would you prefer rough cutting with a mower behind a CUT or rough cutting on a PT with a mower in front of you?
</font>
I've done a lot of each and prefer having the mower out front where I can see exactly where you are putting it. In the middle of a field, it makes little difference, but around the edges, fences, etc. the front mower is easier to position, and you can drive under things and back out without twisitng your neck to try to see. In dry weather, it is dustier than a rear mower, but I've started weariing masks with either. I'm now generally towing a wing mower for a 10'+ cut, so I do have a mower out back, as well, on one side. Although I prefer the front mount, both do the job.

/ What size PT #19  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( My mechanic said that if I am dumb enough to purchase a piece of equipment that I don't know how to service and there is no dealer support for, that he will be happy to charge me an arm and a leg learning how to repair hydraulic drive motors )</font>

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gifSounds like a good honest mechanic. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ What size PT #20  
Charlie, I didn't recall you having a wing mower, too. Any chance of a picture someday? I've always wanted to see Hans' setup, too.

How wide of a cut do you get with two mowers at once? Not that I'm ever gonna do it, but I'd just like to see it.