Rotary Cutter What size rotary cutter for 40hp tractor

/ What size rotary cutter for 40hp tractor #11  
To cover the tire spread you need a 6' cutter. You have to be careful about the cutter weight. I use my Bush Hog SQ172 6' cutter at 765# on both my tractors. It doesn't push the TC40DA around much as it has a loader. The Boomer 8N doesn't have a loader so I added 200# of weight to the front. It is still light and at times the front end gets pushed around. The BB600X shows a weight of 1068# so add that to your decision.

I had a similar situation when we bought our 14 acres. This is out of the BB600X owner's manual - "This medium-duty cutter is designed for grass and weed mowing and shredding." If you can't drive over it and bend it over you end up backing into it to try and knock it over so the blade cuts it. Hitting a 3" or even a 2" trunk is pretty tough on you and the equipment. For that size I get out the chainsaw. For the initial clearing I hired a dozer to clear the property and then use my equipment to maintain it.

/ What size rotary cutter for 40hp tractor #12  
Id go 6' all day long.

/ What size rotary cutter for 40hp tractor #13  
get your check chains and sway bar/chains for your 3pt hitch, and make sure you have weight on the front end of the tractor. make it either a FEL with bucket, to just plain weights on the front. a roatory mower, is like a dog wagging its tail. and in this case, the tail walks / drives the dog. vs other way around.

Tractor Attachments And Skid Steer Attachments For Any Tractor Or Skid Steer check out some videos they have for rotatory mowers. more so in adjust the PTO shaft between tractor and rotatory mower, and how to adjust the slip clutch on the rotatory mower.

since you are primarly cutting heave weeds and like. i would look under the rotatory mower deck. some of them have a circle of metal going around the blades. while others just have a plain deck underneath them. the circle of metal = more of a finishing mower setup were it helps suck stuff up into the blade. these sets require more PTO HP to run. in creation suction. to note it some folks use rotatory mowers to mow there grass lawn. vs cutting up weeds / saplings. this extra circle of metal also becomes a pain when cleaning the underside of the deck.

some folks have replaced the top link turn buckle with a short bar and chain. to let the rotatory mower go up and down some with the terrain.

use a peice of wire (fence wire or something ) on your turn buckles on 3pt hitch, they can vibrate / unscrew and fall off some place in the woods.

going into unknown territory, i tend to drop FEL bucket down to the ground and then raise it up a couple inches, so hopefully i push a log or like out of the way vs running it over it. some folks just remove FEL. but you need something for a BUSH guard or like. in front,or you risk running a branch through your radiator/s in front.

take care when you make turns with rotatory mower down on the ground, you can kink and bend the lower lift arms. the same thing can happen when backing up and tail wheel or deck snags a stump or log or like. 3pt hitches better at pulling stuff, but backing up and turning and nailing something can harm the 3pt hitch linkages.

==============
light duty, medium duty, heavy duty rotatory mowers. it is different manufacture to manufacture, and at times between models of same manufacture. light duty models rocks, to branches will hit the deck from underside and just begin dinging up and bending the deck up. gauge of metal thickness of metal, type of metal and its treatments for the decks can make a difference in how well the decks hold up from abuse.

==================
tail wheel/s
single wheel can be enough, but when backing up can get hung up on stuff. (example a bush you want out, and to big to drive tractor directly over it)
two tail wheels, can help on uneven ground, and keep the blades from digging into the ground.

see about a solid rubber tail wheel vs some tire that you inflate. the tail wheels will see a lot of sharp branches and like. and can be easy to puncture a tire. vs a solid rubber tire or like tire.
==============
my biggest issue with rotatory motors, would keeping the cut weeds/grass/mud off the top of them. and then making sure rain water will flow off the decks when not in use. and cause premature rusting. some frame works on the top of the decks, just "capture crud" and not easy to clean them off with an air compressor, or leaf blower, or garden hose.

=============
get some cheap chains for your chain saw, and just cut tree stumps level to slightly under the ground. vs leaving a couple inches sticking up. your tires will like you better, and when you walk and fall flat on your face or end up cracking a toe on one of them, you will be thankful of no stumps to nail.

trying to run over sapplings to cut them down, can result in just stripping the bark off them, and just making a big old mess, and even a bit more difficult in getting a chain saw to actually cut through them. due to main trunk is completely cracked up, split with bark warped around it. and the bigger issue for me, the sap is sticky wet mess. and causes issues even with gloves on. if you can cut it down with a chain saw cut it down, then mow everything.

/ What size rotary cutter for 40hp tractor
IMG_0228.JPGIMG_0237.JPG
I went down to my property and took some pictures to give everybody an idea of what I am going to be clearing. I will be using my grapple bucket with the bush hog. I am going to pile up all the dead stuff and burn it.

Attachments

• IMG_0228.JPG
    IMG_0228.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 128
   / What size rotary cutter for 40hp tractor #15  
I cut 8' high brush with a 15hp Shibaura and a 4' Kingkutter (1-2" Diameter)
Moved up to a 5' Kingkutter on a 24hp John Deere
My 40hp New Holland is 66" wide. I am now looking for a 6' rotary cutter.
You will have plenty of power for a 6 footer.
shibaura barn3.jpg
DSCN0809.jpg

/ What size rotary cutter for 40hp tractor #16  
I'm with repowell, I don't think I'd want to be cutting up a LOT of 2" to 3" stuff that's STANDING. I run over stuff that's down,but I don't go knocking down big stuff*. A skidsteer with a forestry mulcher can make real quick work of getting rid of a lot of saplings.

* Now that I have my NX and a Bush Hog 286 (PO added another 1/4" plate steel on the top of the deck) I could do it, but in general I'm not looking to do so.

/ What size rotary cutter for 40hp tractor #17  
The BEST way to deal with that property is with a mini ex to pull out the pines so they won't be damaging tires and trying to re-grow for the next few years.

If you will be cutting pastures / cleared land / open areas, I would get the 6' cutter for your TC40. If you will be working on woods trails and not doing a lot of back and forth cutting, I'd go 5'. I have a 5-footer on my L3710 (very similar in size, power, weight to your TC), and I am happy with it. Tracks are not covered, but I cut woods trails only. And, this cutter works well on my smaller tractor, too.

/ What size rotary cutter for 40hp tractor #18  
I have a 35 hp 4x4 tractor and a 6 foot landpride rotary cutter that I've been using to clear my land, mow weeds and maintain the grass in my pastures. It has plenty of power for cutting just about anything I can run over. I mow 2 to 3 inch saplings on a regular basis. Pines are the softest and easiest to mow. You just have to slow down and let the blades chew them up before moving on.

One thing to remember when mowing saplings is that what's left in the ground will tear up your tires. They all rot away in a year and then the grass comes in nicely, but until that happens, be prepared for flat tires. After more flats then I can remember, I foamed my front tires. When new, slime worked pretty good, but there is only so much it will do. Then I went with tubes, but they didn't last very long either. Foam is heavy, costs more, but you will never lose a day of mowing because of a flat tire!!!!!

Early on I had a sheer pin on the driveshaft that worked fine, but you just never knew when they would snap. Some times I earned it, other times it just seemed to happen. I replaced that with a slip clutch drive shaft and I've never had any issues since then.

Your 40 hp tractor will have no problems handling a 6 foot rotary cutter. I wouldn't even think of going with any other size.

/ What size rotary cutter for 40hp tractor #19  
I'm going to give the same reply I always give when somebody is asking about mower sizing. Wider and slower is better than faster and narrower. You get a better cut and don't jar your teeth out. With a wider mower you can always drop down a gear and go slower. With a narrower mower you cannot always go up a gear and speed up without bashing yourself half to death on rough ground. Plus a mower narrower than the rear wheels is next to useless.

I use a 5-ft on my extremely slow 22-hp Kioti. I have never regretted not getting the narrower four footer. Anything I can push over with the bucket the light duty mower will grind up. Sounds like it's coming apart, but it works.

RSKY

/ What size rotary cutter for 40hp tractor #20  
If it were me I would try to remove all the larger trees with the fel bucket and grapple and pile them up to burn. Use the heavy version cutter to deal with the rest of it. While you can cut some of the larger stuff with a rotary cutter it is tougher on the equipment than I like. Much easier to uproot a 3" tree and put in a pile.