What size tractor is right?

/ What size tractor is right? #1  

LeeL

Winter Springs, FL looking to retire in Lake Placi
Tractor
Kubota B2650
My wife and I have just purchased 5 acres in central Florida and would like to get a tractor to mow, move dirt, plow small garden, etc. Mostly flat sandy soil with pasture type grass. My plan is to seed with Bahia and have a couple of miniature donkeys and goats.

My question is about the size of tractor I'm looking at if it is the right size or to small or to big. Picture of property attached.

I would like to have
Loader
rotor mower
box blade
later on a tiller.

Kubota B2301HTS
Kubota B2320DT

MF 1726e

I am having a difficult time comparing sizes apple to apple.

Any help or guidance on size and or other brand opinions are greatly appreciated. I want to purchase the right size the first time around.:thumbsup:

Attachments

• Lindsay Ranch Enlarged.jpg
    Lindsay Ranch Enlarged.jpg
    816.8 KB · Views: 149
   / What size tractor is right? #2  
Great looking property, looks like unlimited potential. My vote goes to the Massey. I have a 1742 cab tractor, purchased late last winter. The cab is a neccessity up here due to the cold and snowblower duty. The Massey is the perfect size in my opinion, for the purposes you have in mind. Mine sees use with a verge mower, bush hog, land plane, hydraulic front blade along with the blower. Also just in the process of building a grapple for it.

/ What size tractor is right? #3  
looks pretty flat. you should not need a whole lot of tractor. you could easily get along with a +- 25 hp 4wd tractor. i would also go with hydro. remember it won't hurt to go bigger either. how much dirt moving to you plan on?

/ What size tractor is right? #4  
you can't go wrong with a kubota
you will find plenty of discussion here about tractors in that range.
B vs BX etc
sereral other great ones at that size also

/ What size tractor is right? #6  
I am having a difficult time comparing apples to apples.

The most efficient way to shop for tractors is to identify potential tractor applications first, then determine bare tractor weight necessary to safely accomplish your applications.

The fundamental importance of TRACTOR WEIGHT eludes many tractor shoppers. Heavier tractor weight is more important for most tractor applications than increased tractor horsepower. Bare tractor weight is a tractor specification easily found in sales brochures and web sites, readily comparable across tractor brands and tractor models, new and used.

Shop your weight range within tractor brands. Budget will eliminate some choices. Collect a dealer brochure for each tractor model in your weight range. I spreadsheet tractor and implement specs, often a revealing exercise. I have a column for cost per pound.

Selling a used tractor is easy. Selling multiple light implements in order to buy heavier, wider implements for a new, heavier tractor requires a lot of time. Depreciation on implements is generally greater than depreciation on a tractor.

A quality dealer, reasonably close, available for coaching, is important for tractor neophytes. Most new tractors are delivered with a glitch or two requiring correction. My Kubota dealer is six miles away. I feel my local dealer continues to add value to my equipment after seven years. Dealer proximity is less important for those experienced with tractors, qualified to perform their own maintenance.

Kubota B2301HTS .1,566 pounds
Kubota B2320DT... 1,450 pounds

Kubota L2501 .... 2,600 pounds

MF 1726e............ 2,625 pounds

Within subcompact and compact tractor categories, a significant tractor capability increase requires a bare tractor weight increase of 50%. It takes a 100% increase in bare tractor weight to elicit MY-OH-MY!

VIDEO: Kubota B-Series vs Standard L1 Series - YouTube

Any of these machines will serve you well on five flat acres of sandy-loam in Florida.

PLEASE ADD YOUR LOCATION TO YOUR T-B-N PROFILE SO IT SHOWS WITH EVERY POST YOU MAKE.
ANOTHER CONTRIBUTOR MAY CLUE YOU ON A GOOD USED TRACTOR NEAR YOUR PROPERTY.

Last edited:
   / What size tractor is right? #7  
I would like to echo what's already been said about dealer support.

Not brand bashing, but I would NOT consider the MF/AGCO brand, simply because it's over 100 miles to the nearest dealer.

/ What size tractor is right? #8  
The next size up from those you are considering.

/ What size tractor is right? #9  
I guess with no close dealer the Massey might not have been my choice either. We’re lucky here to have lots to choose from. The Kubota was more $ for a similar unit.

/ What size tractor is right?
Thanks for all the info guys!!! The videos were very helpful. We went and looked at some Kubota's today and I'm leaning toward the B2601. With having a pond and trees on the property I really only have about 3 to 4 acres to mow. There won't be a lot of heavy loader use so I don't think I need the L series. I did see that Goodyear has a new R14 tire that Kubota is putting on some of the 2019 B series. It's kind of a mix of turf and tractor tire.
Again thanks for all the info it has helped in narrowing my shortlist.