Tractor Sizing What Size Tractor to Buy?

/ What Size Tractor to Buy? #11  
I'm thinking a shuttle-type tranny and 4WD if your thinking of loader work, on a smaller chassis (ie. JD 3720 or Massey 1540).

/ What Size Tractor to Buy? #12  
I'd love to go with the smaller tractor if possible because it would fit better with my current equipment, but I'm not sure it's large enough for everything we need it to do.

With that in mind and the fact that you have 3 other tractors already, I'd lean towards the larger 4wd units to handle those unknown chores. You could afford to leave them hooked up with implements. That would be icing on the cake (IMO) giving you the ability to tackle whatever comes up?

/ What Size Tractor to Buy? #13  
Amanda,
The 1540 4wd will pull the 6' disc just fine. I don't know any thing about spader, but I can't imagine a 4' being to much for a 1540.

/ What Size Tractor to Buy? #14  
If you have a tractor that has a bit more power than it really needs at the moment, just throttle back a bit and go on. Have a tractor that isn't big enough for that future job and you're back out shopping for another one. With so many of the compacts built on a common platform, additional hp usually comes in the same size package anyway. Bigger/heavier/more hp is always a help on a loader tractor. Don't sell yourself short.

/ What Size Tractor to Buy? #15  
Farmwithjunk said:
Bigger/heavier/more hp is always a help on a loader tractor. Don't sell yourself short.

Few folks ever complain that they bought too much tractor. Or too much HP. Or a tractor that can lift 3500 pounds instead of one that can only lift 2500 pounds.
Bob

/ What Size Tractor to Buy? #16  
The only time too much tractor is really too much tractor is when it is too big to maneuver around and get your job done. ( can't get thru tree's.. etc.. )

...but then.. that's what chainsaws were made for...

Soundguy

/ What Size Tractor to Buy? #17  
amanda cather said:
Any thoughts on size or models would be greatly appreciated.

I noticed you didn't mention the Massey 1547 or the Kubota 4330GL/4630GL. When I was looking at more land, these tractors were among my more favored models based on frame size, cost, and available options.

Given your uses, I would not go smaller than a Class III compact tractor which would include the Massey 1547/52, JD 4120 (and up), and Kubota's 4330,4630,5030. I didn't see your location, which depending on altitude may impact your preference for turbo- vs. non-turbo engines. As others have stated, a Shuttle-type trans would be good for your application. I would also consider the GST transmission Kubota offers - though that may be a matter of debate by some on this board; I would not recommend a hydrostat transmission for your uses however.

Rich
Have fun looking.