What to add to this "soil"?

/ What to add to this "soil"? #1  

Fuddyduddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
john deere
I had soil tested I bought as 16 tons topsoil which I spread in front yard depressions, it rained that night and it turned to like concrete. It came from where an apartment complex is going in, the delivery place refunded my money. I couldn't believe how acidic it was, 5.1ph, and why it would be.
I'll till areas, add fertilizer & lime I assume then add real composted topsoil and plant fescue late summer.
Thoughts are appreciated and I'd like to buy a good ph meter. I have two but they weren't accurate.
Thanks.
2023_06_02_21.09.41.jpg
2023_06_02_17.48.43.jpg

/ What to add to this "soil"? #5  
I’ve heard adding soap can help soil take water and loosen up. Haven’t tried it myself but makes sense. I have some soil that when it first starts to rain I swear the rain just bounces off and beads up like it’s on a waxed car! I’m thinking of pooring tide or Boraxo around

/ What to add to this "soil"?
That's what baffles me...someone told me they thought it was crushed cinder block, concrete or limestone but that has a ph 11. This is 5.1!
I put some in large containers for wife to plant vegetables, after getting report I put a handful of lime on plants then watered...overnight they bloomed!

/ What to add to this "soil"? #8  
Strange soil indeed. I've never seen anything that wasn't alkaline harden with addition of moisture.
If millet does as well where you are as in Texas,I'd plant some right away then turn it under for compost before planting the Fescue. In Texas we plant Annual Rye and Hairy Vetch for Winter soil builder.

/ What to add to this "soil"? #9  
I’ve heard adding soap can help soil take water and loosen up. Haven’t tried it myself but makes sense. I have some soil that when it first starts to rain I swear the rain just bounces off and beads up like it’s on a waxed car! I’m thinking of pooring tide or Boraxo around
Sounds like a good idea! Please - let us know if that works.

/ What to add to this "soil"? #10  
Surfactants will allow water to penetrate some soils more effectively. Shaklee "Basic H", and Amway "LOC" have surfactants in them.

I used to sell drums of the stuff to farmers.

A couple of irrigated farms would apply the surfactants "soap" through thier irrigation systems.

The wiki link is a good read.