Buying Advice What to buy and what's in the HP numbers?

/ What to buy and what's in the HP numbers?
It's interesting to see all the pushes (nudges) towards HST.

The speed of the event is an asset so I am considering an HST. The largest part of my chore while plowing is usually the fact that I have to clear a spot 4 times the size of the area to be plowed in order to be prepared for the snow that comes a month down the line, so just being able to drive forward with a blade will shorten my day by hours never mind the fumes in my lungs.
Having an FE35 with a back blade that doesn't raise to the top (hydraulic work is to be done) doesn't allow me to move any snow banks that are determined to freeze in place. I will only smash something on my tractor if I try. So this dream of a cab, heater, fully working blower, FEL, and front FEL snow blade are keeping me up at night. Since I have put the plan in motion, I have been obsessed with finding videos and reviews of the MF1700 series, I have found almost nothing meaningful on them or the L60's of Kubota.... just some marketing cheese from the Manufacturer or a dealer. Everyone's input to date has given me a way to wade through the mass of numbers.

I am still stuck on getting the power shuttle on the MF for some reason but HST may creep in along the way. Robbing HP on an already power challenged machine in favour of a convenient HST seems senseless to me, but at the same time, I watch how slick the machines move around with HST that i think that may serve me well.
From what I see, the MF geared tractor goes F & R quickly by moving the column lever without using the clutch. Does that not serve a similar effect of the HST? (except the need/want for variable speed) I guess my point or question lies in the fact that I am coming from the world of no features to one that is next to self operating. A 1995 tractor would be utopia next to the old rig I have.

As I originally posted, I want a cab, and FWD is sweet. Pretty much everything else is like winning the lottery for me.

Would anyone like to contribute a list of Top 5 or Top 10 features that a fella should strive for in order of importance or mind saving convenience according to their experience or background with having the cab, FWD, FEL, FEL blade, Snow Blower, box scraper, 3rd function, 2-3 sets of remotes, IND vs Ag tires, wheel weights, front weight, etc etc........

I like that the Kubota has rear window defrost, but that originally was a red flag to me. Without it, is their heater able to maintain a clear window by way of enough heat or more importantly, airflow to the glass? It's also rather imposing to look through.

I have other questions and comments, so I will try to address them in another post. This one is getting too long to force you to sift through it.
:confused3:
:confused2:

/ What to buy and what's in the HP numbers? #52  
It's interesting to see all the pushes (nudges) towards HST.
I'd push for a gear tractor but at your size requirements there is little power loss and many find them easier to use then gear tractors. The more important consideration is the layout of the control pedals.

As I originally posted, I want a cab, and FWD is sweet. Pretty much everything else is like winning the lottery for me.

Would anyone like to contribute a list of Top 5 or Top 10 features that a fella should strive for in order of importance or mind saving convenience according to their experience or background with having the cab, FWD, FEL, FEL blade, Snow Blower, box scraper, 3rd function, 2-3 sets of remotes, IND vs Ag tires, wheel weights, front weight, etc etc........

:confused3:
:confused2:
Number one having enough power and weight to move and operate the biggest machine I plan to use.
Number two having four wheel drive to get me to where the worst work needs doing.
Number three, having a cab , (soft or hard) to keep me out of the wind in winter.
Number four having a loader with a third function.
Number five having a manufacturer and dealer that stands behind what they sell and can keep it running for you.
Edit post to say that I might move having the loader to number two but I wouldn't pay a dime without all five.

That is a nice tractor.
:thumbsup:

so much fun to be had.

Thanks for the info.
I get the feeling I am going to be in the 42-45HP range when all the dust settles.

/ What to buy and what's in the HP numbers? #56  
. . . Would anyone like to contribute a list of Top 5 or Top 10 features that a fella should strive for in order of importance or mind saving convenience according to their experience or background . . . .

Here are mine. Before I bought my first tractor (Kioti DK50SE HST-Cab), my prior experience consisted of 1,000's of hours driving old farm tractors in the 60's and 70's, such as a Farmall 450, a couple of old Minneapolis Molines, an old Allis Chalmers row crop (that I hated with a passion), a John Deere 4020 and a John Deere 3020. All were 2WD and none had a FEL or a cab. I spent one summer driving a Case (can't remember the model) with a cab that had no air conditioning - that is sheer misery in 100 degree weather.

So, based on using mine for a while, here's my list:

1. FEL
2. FWD
3. SSQA on the FEL. Ability to switch from bucket to grapple to bucket is glorious.
4. Rear hydraulic remotes (one set is better than none, but 2 sets are really the minimum workable; and 3 would be better).
5. Cab with heat/air/radio
6. HST transmission (for the work I do). Hydraulic shuttle (i.e., clutchless F to R and R to F) would be my second choice, and I wouldn't consider it much of a compromise.
7. Extendable lower 3 point hitch lift arms. (I find these almost indispensable, but put them 7th because there are other solutions that would minimize the PITA factor of not having them.)

I consider 1 - 4 as absolute requirements. I wouldn't want to get by without 5 - 7, but I could.

This list assumes you have an adequately sized and powered machine for the job at hand. All those features and goodies don't mean squat if the tractor is too small (or, in some cases, too big) for the job.

Last edited:
Finally........ An update.
Today a portion of the purchase was delivered.

Massey Ferguson 1736 (gear) cab
125FEL w/ 72" skid steer bucket, third function
Aux rear hydraulic 1&2
Puma 74-Hydraulic chute and deflector snowblower

Still on the way, -HLA 84" 2000 series blade for the FEL & chains
Pictures to follow when the crazy rain downpour takes a hike.

image-2451143267.jpg

image-1134142723.jpg

image-3473867045.jpg