What to buy?

/ What to buy? #1  

sharpie

Hello to all! I have a question that has been probably asked many times before, but here goes. I would like to buy a used CUT tractor for a small stable. What I would like it to do is to be able to power a rough cut mower, pull a box scraper, power an auger, and be equipped with a FEL. Property size is about 10 acres, and would be cutting thick grass. I have a JD510 back hoe to do heavy stuff, so I don't need anything that large. I don't know about how much HP would be needed to power these accessories? and I don't think 4wd is needed but it wouldn't hurt to have it! I would like to hear about the pros and cons of any mfg/model. Any comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for you help!

/ What to buy? #2  
Welcome to TBN...... are you needing to drive around inside pens and a building..... or stay out in larger quarters.... makes a difference regarding size of tractor.

/ What to buy? #3  
Welcome sharpie. A general rule of thumb is 5 PTO hp per foot of rotary mower. Thick grass can be some of the most demanding to cut so I would stick close to the rule. That would put you in the 25+ engine hp range for a 4' mower. I would also look for 4wd on a smaller tractor. They are rather light compared to the JD510 you are used to and it makes a big difference pulling a box blade and doing FEL work.

MarkV

/ What to buy? #4  
Welcome.:D:D

With used tractors it's a matter of familiarization with your market area, shopping and time. Get familiar and sit on many seats to familiarize yourself with what would suit you. Get some choices narrowed down and then get into serious looking.

Consider an HST transmission as this might be handy in the barns. Four wheel drive may also be a consideration as it can make life easier.:D

Just as an add on other people than just the dealer of a particular make may be able to work on a tractor.:D

/ What to buy? #5  
From practical experience, I can state 17 PTO HP does a fine job with a 5' cutter, but you'll be going slow. Is more better? Yep, but not essential if you don't want to spend the extra funds.
The limiting factor would be the box blade. You'll want traction for that and traction means weight. You might want to consider using that JD510 for that kind of work.
I wouldn't buy any CUT without MFWD...if you don't have the weight, you need 4WD for traction.
So, used tractors...depending on how much you want to spend...a Kubota B7500 (or variation) or B2xxx series (not BX or other subCUT), Deere 670, 770 or 790 (all gear tranny machines) or any of the early Deere 4xxx (4300, 4310) machines, New Holland TC-30 or equivalent (including the Ford predecessors). I've heard and read about problems with some of the early NH Boomer tractors, but not personal experience.
I am not a fan of the lesser known brands but if there's a dealer close by, you may as well take a look...they'd be cheaper then Deere, Kubota or NH.

I've owned both the Deere 670 (ran a 5' cutter with no problem...that was the 17 PTO HP machine) and 790 (still got that one...just used it to clear 24" of snow...I'll be back out in a few hours but I've got to warm up now!). Either would serve your needs and parts are readily available.

/ What to buy?
Thanks for everyone's response. To Texasjohn, it will be uses out in the open not going into a barn or corral.

/ What to buy? #7  
I would think there is a very wide variety of tractors that will do the job for you. Alot depends on your budget but I would consider a small tractor without a fel to handle this work. You can find a ton of older tractors similar to my 820 from $4000 to $7500 depending on condition and hp. that will do a good job. My 820 is a gear tractor with 2 wd and weighs about 4000 lbs or better, handles most of the same implements as my other tractors and that saves duplication costs.

Your 510 is a lot more loader than the small ag tractors will ever be, I would use it where a loader is needed, at least that is what I do I have the loader on my 110tlb and have the tractors unincumbered with fel's.

/ What to buy? #8  
I am at the opposite end of the spectrum. My previous tractor(just sold it) had 16hp on the PTO. It had a hard time with a 4' mower. My Dad has some really thick stalked field grass; it was really hard to mow.

I mostly am moving to a bigger/more HP tractor for that reason; to spin a mower better.

From practical experience, I can state 17 PTO HP does a fine job with a 5' cutter, but you'll be going slow. Is more better? Yep, but not essential if you don't want to spend the extra funds.

/ What to buy? #9  
This is an interesting perspective.

I only had one tractor("new" used one will be here tomorrow). When I got it, it did not have a loader. A loader on a CUT is $3000+. The loader I added, made my tractor, a "tractor". It really made the tractor complete.

If I was cleaning stalls and barns, I would want a loader for sure. Quick-attach would make it easy to remove for mowing.

Mine had quick-attach. I took it off twice; once just to try it, and once for maintenance(didn't really have to though).

I would think there is a very wide variety of tractors that will do the job for you. Alot depends on your budget but I would consider a small tractor without a fel to handle this work. You can find a ton of older tractors similar to my 820 from $4000 to $7500 depending on condition and hp. that will do a good job. My 820 is a gear tractor with 2 wd and weighs about 4000 lbs or better, handles most of the same implements as my other tractors and that saves duplication costs.

Your 510 is a lot more loader than the small ag tractors will ever be, I would use it where a loader is needed, at least that is what I do I have the loader on my 110tlb and have the tractors unincumbered with fel's.