What to check buying used machines

/ What to check buying used machines #1  

paulsharvey

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti CK2610 HST
So, moving over here, a gentleman bought a used machine from a dealer, to discover the Hour meter doesn't work, and possibly the advertised hours are incorrect.

Has anyone put together a list of things to check, or an actual checklist for buyers of used equipment? John, with Farmcraft101 did a very good list and video on a check list for used vehicles, and wondered if someone had done similar for equipment.

This is not meant to be an argument on responsibility, just meant to be helpful to potential buyers.

Edit: correct Farmcraft, I get that channel and Project Farm mixed up all the time

Last edited:
   / What to check buying used machines #2  
I recently bought a 1949 Farmall Cub exactly like the one my grandfather bought new. The owner restored it, lived 5 miles away, and had a huge binder of receipts just parts more than I paid. It's really just a novelty.
I think accurate hours are extremely important, or at least expert estimation.
Number one is checking it over. If you're unable have someone else do it, knowledgeable with what you're buying.
About 20 years ago I bid on a very rare car on ebay. Pictures and description it was gorgeous. It was located over 2,000 miles away. I called the owner who highly praised it (of course) the day before bidding ended.
I told him I'm bidding and need to know the number stamped on the frame, easy because owner had a lift.
What he did was took it off of ebay later that day! The point is buyer must be very careful and ask the right questions.
20230808_181554.jpg

/ What to check buying used machines
For a kinda starter list:
1) does it start? I want to see it start, not show up and they have it running already
2) tires atleast air up, can't say I take soapy water with me to check for leaks, but with the price of ag tires, it might be a good idea
3) does it go into gear (all of them) and move forwards/back, in all ranges
4) lift arms go up and down (with atleast an adults weight on the arms)
5) does the PTO engage and spin (hard to really go further, unless it comes with a pto impliment
6) hours vs general appearance of wear, and does the hour meter work
7) burnt wires

Couple things I don't stress so much;
1) mismatched tires (wear/brand, size should be same)
2) paint
3) minor drips
4) clean oil (I would want to change once I get it; but not chocolate milk, just black is fine)
5) coolant vs water; as long as it holds water, you can always drain when yiu get it home
6) horns/lights/sloppy steering
7) missing panels

/ What to check buying used machines #4  
This list and its priorities take so many different directions, depending on whether the equipment is newer or vintage, price point, project versus showpiece versus worker, etc. No way can one list fit all situations.

Shopping vintage, the most important thing is always completeness. Even broken parts are more useful than missing parts, as you can always fab new if you have a good example to work from.

On new or used, rust is always a big factor. On a new machine I want none, and on a vintage machine I'm just happy if it's not through the sheetmetal.

On newer machines, I'm more interested in condition of fluids, maintenance records, wiring that hasn't been hacked, etc.

One thing I didn't mention is the seat. A torn up seat isn't the end of the world, but if it matters a lot to you, and whole seat assembly can be real money. They aren't $50 anymore. You could be $500 to replace the whole seat on a new machine.

Glass isn't a big deal to me either, but it might be a deal breaker for others. It can be very expensive to replace, especially if it's rounded, like a JD full glass door...

One thing I probably wouldn't think about is hydralic connector styles. Would be pretty disappointed to find the quikconnect don't fit your attachments once you get home.

Also, having an air filter installed. It's a bad sign for the overall machine if it's missing.

Someone on YouTube mentioned; if a machine still has factory battery hold downs, it's a good sign it was taken care of. I think that was Watch Wes Work?

/ What to check buying used machines #8  
Some things I look for:
Grease fittings for evidence of reasonable maintenance.

Compare control pedal wear to hour meter. A large unexplained hour discrepancy could be deception (big red flag). With reasonable maintenance, the hours don't mean much to me.

I want the machine COLD when I look at it.

Look at fuel, trans, engine filters to see how old they are. I've looked at Kubota machines in the 1000 hour range with the factory painted filters.

Slap a meter on the battery while running to confirm charging.

As already mentioned, running through all gears and operate the loader and 3 point.