What to check on deere 455? ASAP!

/ What to check on deere 455? ASAP! #1  

larboc

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4300, Deere 455, Ariens GT17, Cub Cadet O, Wheelhorse 50
Going to look at picking up a 1200hr 455 for lawn mowing duties, maybe adding a pto kit/3point down the road for a tiller.

The only major issue with it is that the shop said an injector was leaking diesel externally but I couldn't see it leaking, maybe when it's under load it will start to leak visibly. I figured worst case I can get new injectors for $50 a piece it looks like.

Glow plug controller isn't working right, doesn't glow for more than 1/2 a second or so and then stops glowing but the wait light stays on. (light is dim for 1/2 second, then gets bright). It was ~15 degrees when I tried it. If I cycle the key a few times it warms up enough to start. I'm thinking ground. GP's were tested and a new module was installed.

Once its running it seems to run awesome. zero smoke from the exhaust, no noticeable blowby. Smooth idle, and revs up nice. Hydro is quiet, steering looks to have a little play in the bracket the stationary end of the steering cylinder mounts to, thinking that's loose bolts and I can fix that in short order.

Has a leak out of the input to the transaxle. I read up on that a little and it looks common and cheap but labor intensive to replace. I figure I'll just pull the axle and do all the seals at once.

Plastic is in good shape, tires have good tread. Comes with a 60" mowing deck. There is a front blade available but I have no use for it so I'm not making an offer.

Not the AWS, doesn't have the rear PTO kit.

Anything else to check for? Fair price?

/ What to check on deere 455? ASAP!
Nevermind, I bought it anyway.

/ What to check on deere 455? ASAP! #3  
:thumbsup:

If it's a good price, and you know how to fix it up, then you come out ahead.

Hope you let us know how it pans out.

It's 20 degrees, a blizzard, and we have 4 feet of snow on the ground. It's going to be a little bit before I get motivation to mess with it. I think I got it for a good price, we'll find out come summer. I'm curious about the old vs. late style of front steering. JD parts is quite confusing on the subject. My front axle looks like the one they list for the AWS but mine is 2ws. It looks like I need to replace the bushings on the steering plate and the steering play will disappear. I don't think it will be necessary to convert to the newer style which I think has 2 cylinders? My cylinder moves with zero play compared to the steering wheel, the plate is what is wiggling a little.

I ran it for awhile when I got home with it but never could find any semblance of a fuel leak from the injectors. One of the return lines was a little loose and wet on an injector so I replaced the backed up the clamp with a zip tie. If that was all it was I'll be a happy camper. With my luck it will need an injection pump.

Well, I'm stoked. Found the fuel leak. The return line between 1and 2 had a crack in it. Touched it with a screwdriver and it started pouring. I had some line leftover from my 4300 rebuild so that fix was free!

/ What to check on deere 455? ASAP! #6  
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

/ What to check on deere 455? ASAP! #7  
Nice find. It's always nice when they turn out to be a quick cheap fix.

Nice find. It's always nice when they turn out to be a quick cheap fix.

Yes, especially when you pay less than 2x the model number for them!

Glow plug controller seems to have magically fixed itself too, or maybe it was actually an issue with air getting into the injectors through the return line. Either way it fires right up now and runs great. Tightened up the steering ram tapered fitting and the steering is pretty tight now.

The only issue now is the 18" of snow we got in the past 48 hours on top of the 4 that's already there. :(

/ What to check on deere 455? ASAP! #9  
Wow. Good price for a diesel. I'm sure it will last you many years. I like my X485 but would like a diesel. They sell for crazy prices around here.