Loader What to do with a bent arm

/ What to do with a bent arm #1  

geoffleach

Tractor
Antonio Carraro TRH 9800, TTR 4400
Here's a photo of the problem. The arm in question has a 5mm bend as compared to the other arm (background).

bent-arm.jpg

For context, here's a broader view.

context.jpg

What course of action do you suggest?

Thanks.

/ What to do with a bent arm #2  
It looks like the bend is where the extension is welded to the back of the tube; first I would check with a metal straight edge to make sure that the hydraulic cylinder tube didn't have any swail. If it was straight, I would retract it, then put a wooden block between the gland end and loader frame (wedge one in if necessary to get the same distance as the good side) and secure it with a chain or whatever to keep it from moving. Then use one of those spreaders in a porta power under the welded end to spring it back into line. It might require some wood shims to get full travel, as it will have to go a bit beyond level due to springback, but take small steps and compare to the other side measurements. 5mm isn't much, so be careful not to over do it.

/ What to do with a bent arm #3  
That for the self leveling loader right? How does it affect the function? How in the world did that get bent?

Brett

/ What to do with a bent arm
Seems to function fine. How did it happen? No idea. I was working with a grapple and some fairly heavy logs.

Thanks for the detailed response!

/ What to do with a bent arm #6  
I'd probably do what you've done - hop on TBN and ask, plus I'd check all my sources (relatives, local mechanics) to line up a shop that could repair a cylinder.

Prices vary widely it seems, I had a cylinder pictured here

20150711_074553.jpg

rebuilt for $40.

I'd be pretty hesitant about internal damage. Did you use it much after you bent it?

/ What to do with a bent arm #7  
If everything works I'd leave it alone.

Trying to fix this may tear the end cap loose from the cylinder barrel. You won't like that result.

You are extremely lucky that it bent where it did versus bending the ram. That's not a "hydraulic" bend. That's from an object making physical contact with the cylinder barrel.

It looks like the bend is where the extension is welded to the back of the tube; first I would check with a metal straight edge to make sure that the hydraulic cylinder tube didn't have any swail. If it was straight, I would retract it, then put a wooden block between the gland end and loader frame (wedge one in if necessary to get the same distance as the good side) and secure it with a chain or whatever to keep it from moving. Then use one of those spreaders in a porta power under the welded end to spring it back into line. It might require some wood shims to get full travel, as it will have to go a bit beyond level due to springback, but take small steps and compare to the other side measurements. 5mm isn't much, so be careful not to over do it.

Couple of questions. From a newbie.

What is swail?
What is the gland end?

Thanks.

/ What to do with a bent arm #9  
Couple of questions. From a newbie.

What is swail?
What is the gland end?

Thanks.

Swail, as used in the description, would be that the cylinder tube is bent.

The gland end is the end of the cylinder tube where the ram comes out of.

I've been using it with no apparent problems. No hydraulic fluid drip, no nasty sounds, apparently full power.