What to do with old anti freeze?

/ What to do with old anti freeze? #1  

dodge man

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 2025R
Oil and such is never a problem. Anti freeze on the other hand is. I could dig a hole and dump it in and cover it up, dump it in the creek and cover it up, sneak a little in the trash now and then. I don’t want to do that. I did ask Google and Illinois does have a program where the have an occasional “bring in just about anything” where they setup in a nearby parking lot but nothing coming to my area.

/ What to do with old anti freeze? #2  
Oil and such is never a problem. Anti freeze on the other hand is. I could dig a hole and dump it in and cover it up, dump it in the creek and cover it up, sneak a little in the trash now and then. I don’t want to do that. I did ask Google and Illinois does have a program where the have an occasional “bring in just about anything” where they setup in a nearby parking lot but nothing coming to my area.
Some of the auto parts stores have both used oil and antifreeze dumps.

/ What to do with old anti freeze? #3  
I've seen references over time to the effect that small amounts are 100% fine to put into municipal sewer systems (i.e. down the drain in your house). Here's a reference from the MN DOT talking about how businesses disposing of less than 600 gallons a year may do so:

If that quantity from a business (or MN DOT 'project') is allowable (via simple 'recordkeeping' and notice) then 1-3 gallons from a private party should not be a problem.

Don't put it down the drain to a septic system. That isn't good for the septic system.

/ What to do with old anti freeze? #4  
Our local dump (actually a transfer station) takes "household chemicals", including used oil & antifreeze &c for free
If you have something similar, give them a call and see what they allow.

/ What to do with old anti freeze? #5  
That’s kind of funny about mixing waste oil and waste antifreeze, back 20 some years ago when I was contracting with Safety Kleen, they told me to have our maintenance department pour everything together into waste drums and their centrifuges would separate them at time of processing….

/ What to do with old anti freeze? #6  
Will the stuff evaporate? You could always put it in a bucket
and put a fire under it and boil it away?????

willy

/ What to do with old anti freeze? #7  
If you had a lot, you could load some tractor tires.
Our local transfer station takes it.
Used to be free,but now used oil and coolant is a buck a gallon.
Hit Autozone late Saturday-40 minute drive-frozen caliper emergency.
Saw they were offering free recycling of motor oil,antifreeze,and batteries.
Good Luck!

/ What to do with old anti freeze? #8  
I've seen references over time to the effect that small amounts are 100% fine to put into municipal sewer systems (i.e. down the drain in your house). Here's a reference from the MN DOT talking about how businesses disposing of less than 600 gallons a year may do so:

If that quantity from a business (or MN DOT 'project') is allowable (via simple 'recordkeeping' and notice) then 1-3 gallons from a private party should not be a problem.

Don't put it down the drain to a septic system. That isn't good for the septic system.
I saw the same information at the Minnesota State Fair many years ago, the key is a Municipal sewer system, not a septic system.
Not sure if it still applies to all types of anti freeze, as the article specifies glycol (the old green) anti freeze.

/ What to do with old anti freeze? #9  
Even though I live in a rural area the county dump will take antifreeze. And all the major auto parts store chains will accept antifreeze, brake fluid, and oils. At least in western Washington. I would be very surprised if your situation is much different.
Eric

/ What to do with old anti freeze? #10  
Same here. Our county landfill will take AF or just about anything you bring them.