What to get for major earthmoving

/ What to get for major earthmoving #31  
VERY VERY INTERESTING! Don't think they do that around here, get down a bit and all you find is clay and shale.

/ What to get for major earthmoving #32  
That whole process sounds a bit shaky to me. What kind of assurance is there that the building won't heave? Speaking of shaky, I would wager that when the earth shakes the material will liquify and swallow the buildings. It sounds like the whole area is a big old stump dump. If the earth won't support a structure in this area because of soil compaction there is only one real good way to prep the site. Steel reinforced concrete pilings are hammered down until they hit bedrock. This provides a footing for the columns. A lot of work but the building stays put. I don't intend to hijack this thread so I won't go into the floating bridge across the lake thing.
All the best,
Martin

/ What to get for major earthmoving #34  
Our soils here are a mixture of silts, sands, loams, some clay, and some peat. Liquifaction is more prevalent in saturated soils that share the same particle size like the sand fills of Seattle. Our soils lock together a bit better and the water table is lowered by all of the utilities.

Almost all soil acts as a sponge in that it can be compressed by a load and when the load is removed it will expand. When the soil is compressed, you are squeezing the air or water out of it. So long as you keep the weight on the soil it will stay compressed and if you remove the weight it will slowly fluff back up. Really, just like a sponge.

How would the building heave? We don't get frost heave here. The entire site will sit under a slab of concrete and storage which is the "load" keeping the sponge compressed.

They've been doing it this way for decades with no issues. We didn't learn much about the preload process in school but it was emphasized during preparation for my license exams.

Now the next cool/weird thing we do is Concrete Treated Base. We lay out several inches of straight cement on top of the mud and then take a monster Caterpillar tiller and till it in to a depth of 14 inches. Then come back with a grader and smooth it out. It sets up like a weak concrete to provide a firm base for site/road pavement.

/ What to get for major earthmoving #35  
1*I need about 6,000 yards of fill for the driveway;
2*the rest can be piled for sale.
1*Why can't you use the 13000 yards you're removing for this?
2*I wouldn't count on being able to sell it. We have a guy in my area that can't fill give dirt away.

Your best bet is to find somebody that needs a lot of fill dirt and work a deal that they can get free dirt from you in exchange for doing the excavation and hauling the dirt from your property to where they are going to use it.

This way you get your drive way graded and it don't cost you a cent.

/ What to get for major earthmoving #36  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If you are not going to use the dirt being removed...SELL IT!! Big money in good fill dirt.
)</font>
===========
This may sound good,but in pratice it don't work.
We have a guy offering free fill dirt and he can't get rid of it.
So far not even a shovel full.

If you can't give it away how are you going to sell it?

Another case in point my local Kubota dealer is filling in his back lot with dozzens and dozzens of dump truck loads of free dirt.
This is costing him a small fortune even though the dirt is free.
How likely would he go to someone to get this dirt if they were charging for the dirt.

/ What to get for major earthmoving #37  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Rental yards in my area don't rent dump trucks, because people overload them and are unfamiliar with braking distances.
)</font>

Also it's pretty tough to rent equipement that requirea a CDL to people who dont have one.

/ What to get for major earthmoving #38  
Yeah, they'd never do that in New England and I've never heard of such a thing. It sounds expensive....but effective for your area.

/ What to get for major earthmoving #39  
This may sound good,but in pratice it don't work.
We have a guy offering free fill dirt and he can't get rid of it.
So far not even a shovel full.

If you can't give it away how are you going to sell it?

Another case in point my local Kubota dealer is filling in his back lot with dozzens and dozzens of dump truck loads of free dirt.
This is costing him a small fortune even though the dirt is free.
How likely would he go to someone to get this dirt if they were charging for the dirt.

)</font>

Well, maybe in YOUR area. Where I live, we can sell a tandem load of good red clay for $10-20/ truck load depending on quality and need. I have sold a single axle load of dirt for $25. You DO NOT get free fill dirt anywhere I have worked around. Dumptruck companies around here get at least $85 for a load of fill, $125-150 for top soil, $200+ for a load of screened topsoil. <font color="black"> </font>

/ What to get for major earthmoving #40  
<<
Well, maybe in YOUR area.
1*Where I live, we can sell a tandem load of good red clay for $10-20/ truck load depending on quality and need. I have sold a single axle load of dirt for $25.
2*You DO NOT get free fill dirt anywhere
I have worked around.
3*Dumptruck companies around here get at least $85 for a load of fill, $125-150 for top soil, $200+ for a load of screened topsoil.
====================
1*Around here we have a guy who can't give the stuff away - Why you say; because there is no one to haul it away and even if there was there is no one at the site to load a truck.
If he were to charge for the dirt the situation would be even worse for him and his likelihood of getting rid of the dirt would be even less.
2*The kubota dealer I cited certainly is getting the dirt free out of a hill side someone is removing.
Whoever is having the hill graded down has to get rid of the dirt somehow other wise the grading can't be done. Unless the owner of the land can find a place to dump the dirt he can't do the project.
The Kubota dealer just happened to have a large deep hollow where the land owner could dump the dirt, The land owner is giving the dirt to the Kubota dealer because the Kubota dealer solved the land owners problem of getting rid of the dirt.

I've seen this happen 4 times right in my own neighborhood on 4 hills all within 2 miles or less from me.
When The K mart store was built the fill was from a big hill just 1.5 miles down the road from me.
When Wall mart was built they got their fill from another hill just 1 mile down the road from me.
Later the fill for the recent building of the Lowes store came from the big hill right across the road from me.
Theses deals usually are a barter arrangement where the land owner gets his property graded free in exchange for supplying the dirt. (This is the sort of arrangement the original poster needs to make to solve his problem.)
The Kubota dealer is getting his dirt from the next hill over from the hill across from me which I'd guess is about .75 miles from my place as the crow flies.

The last time I I hired a dump truck it cost me $65 a trip.
Now where do you think I'm going to send that truck to pick up a load of dirt?
To you or a guy like you selling dirt for $25 or more per load or to the guy giving it away???
>>