What to look for when testing a used machine

/ What to look for when testing a used machine #61  
stick on heating pads, magnetic heaters, etc certainly will help when it is cold as will synthetic oil. A good battery, cable, and connections also go a long way towards starting.
Yeah, this is good advice and just about the only option for [some] EH65 engine owners. I would use a magnetic heater to warm the engine and hydraulic oil before starting when the temps were below 45 degrees or so. The new engine I swapped in definitely helped in the cold, such that it hasn't been an issue for me at least. That being said, I'm having issues with heat that I believe are related to the stock exhaust manifold/muffler. I plan to make a new one in the near future and will update my thread.

/ What to look for when testing a used machine
Today, the temp climbed to 60 degrees and my 422 wouldn't start. Gave up after 10 minutes of trying and three very loud backfires.
Friday, it was 29 degrees and it started on the second try. Not sure what else to try.

/ What to look for when testing a used machine #63  
Frank,

I understand your frustration with the Robin engine in the PT. It's actually a very good engine once it starts, but the cards are stacked against it in the PT. The PT design is kinda like expecting a truck to start from cold, in gear, with the clutch engaged. It can be done, but it's not always easy.

For me the Number One issue has always been how fast the engine spins while cranking. I've learned that it's not so much the temperature of the air that matters - it's the temperature of the machine. If the oil and the battery are cold, you are starting out with two strikes against you. Slow cranking = flooded engine. If you can work out a way to warm it up and give the starter every possible advantage for spinning the engine fast, life will get much better.

/ What to look for when testing a used machine #64  
I am a young business owner in michigan that is having a hard time finding a used power trac that is priced in the entry level. am mechanically inclined and am not afraid of a unit that needs some love.
please letme know if you have any leads within 800 miles of michigan.
thank you in advance !

/ What to look for when testing a used machine #65  
So can you tell us your price range and what size machine you are hoping for?

/ What to look for when testing a used machine #66  
My budget is 4500. Don't really need any attachments other than a bucket or forks. Grapple would be a plus.
A grapple would be awesome but I ought to stay realistic.
It seems inviting to purchase a new one for 8000 as anything used still seems to go for 75 per cent of cost new !!! ???
Thank you for the inquiry and welcoming me

/ What to look for when testing a used machine #67  
If you're looking at the 400 series, I'd stick with the 425. It has dual steering rams and a larger engine. Also, the newer model year 425s have a higher lift than the older model years.

I think the reason you don't see many of them for sale is that they are doing their function for the owner and the owner is satisfied so far. That probably also drive the used cost up.

/ What to look for when testing a used machine #68  
If you're looking at the 400 series, I'd stick with the 425. It has dual steering rams...

Or get the older PT422 which also has dual rams. I think they made the switch in 2003 or 2004? Rmconnell's 2003 machine probably is set up that way.

++1 . Dual steering rams are the way to go, as 3 people have ripped out their single steering ram. Bad design, IMHO. Yes, my PT422 has a single ram, and I keep a close eye on the attachment point.

/ What to look for when testing a used machine #69  
Or get the older PT422 which also has dual rams. I think they made the switch in 2003 or 2004? Rmconnell's 2003 machine probably is set up that way.

++1 . Dual steering rams are the way to go, as 3 people have ripped out their single steering ram. Bad design, IMHO. Yes, my PT422 has a single ram, and I keep a close eye on the attachment point.

Thank all you guys for sharing your past experience and knowledge. I am already sold on a PT just have to be at the right time at the right place now.....

/ What to look for when testing a used machine #70  
Actually, it seems to me that the resale value on PT's is terrible comparable to CUT's, mainly because most people do not know what they are. This is probably much less true on the smaller ones like the 425. Also, the larger ones have typically been used commercially and have seen a hard life which also lowers their value.

Ken