What to use??????

/ What to use?????? #1  

deere4320

Silver Member
Tractor
2008 Deere 4320 eHydro w/400X FEL and Unloaded R4's
Hi All,
I was working at our neighbors house the other day and noticed that they had a spring fed pond. There was heavy brush surrounding the pond and covering the beach. They also agreed that it need to be cleared. The only problem is that the bank is very steep almost 25 degrees. Should i use my 4320 with my rotary cutter? I was also thinking of renting a Ventrac Slope Mower (Ventrac - Advantages: Slope Mowing). I would like to do the job ASAP and they said they are willing to pay. Any ideas?:confused::confused::confused::

/ What to use?????? #2  
Are you sure it's only 25 degrees? If so, then your 4320 should be able to handle 25 degrees IF you remove your FEL, use 4WD, dry ground/brush, ROPS/seat belt and only mow going forward downhill or backing uphill in reverse. Under no circumstances should you try to mow it horizontally going across the slope.

/ What to use??????
Are you sure it's only 25 degrees? If so, then your 4320 should be able to handle 25 degrees IF you remove your FEL, use 4WD, dry ground/brush, ROPS/seat belt and only mow going forward downhill or backing uphill in reverse. Under no circumstances should you try to mow it horizontally going across the slope.

Thanks for the reply....... P.S Why would i remove the FEL? Wouldn't i want some counterweight on the front?

/ What to use?????? #4  
The FEL will reduce the weight on your rear tires and that could cause no traction/brakes. The tractor could take off downhill, out of control. It will also tend to pull you down the slope.

/ What to use?????? #5  
Thanks for the reply....... P.S Why would i remove the FEL? Wouldn't i want some counterweight on the front?

In addition to removing weight from the rear tires; the average tractors center of gravity is approx 10 inches above the rear axle, loader arms lie significantly above this COG and while travelling the raised bucket likely lies above the tractors native COG as well. I'm guessing but it seems reasonable that a FEL assembly will definitely raise the center of gravity a tractor decreasing the tractors "static stability factor", by how much dependent the relative weight and height of the fel to the native COG of the tractor.

/ What to use?????? #6  

Only if you're backing downslope and coming up in forward gear.

/ What to use?????? #8  
Neither of which do I recommend. One other general tip, go slow keeping it in low gear.

Yup, reducing speed by half reduces potential rollover by a factor of four.

/ What to use?????? #9  
Yup, reducing speed by half reduces potential rollover by a factor of four.
Yup, I agree. With tractors, speed can break stuff, remember that when using any implement and especially your loader.

/ What to use?????? #10  
Neither of which do I recommend. One other general tip, go slow keeping it in low gear.

If the slope is as steep as deere4320 says it is, backing down and driving up may be the only option, unfortunately...if he uses his tractor.
That Ventrac rental may be the way to go, but it'll cost.