Backhoe What type of oil for a backhoe?

/ What type of oil for a backhoe? #1  

zkurtb

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
I just picked up a used Woods 7500 backhoe. It has it's own tank and PTO pump, does not use the tractor fluids. As with all used items, I like to change the fluids along with checking the bolt torque, greasing, and so on.

For the fluids, the manual says there are several different recommended oil types:
SAE Hydraulic Transmission Fluid.................All Temperatures
Type "A" or "F" ATF..................................All Temperatures
SAE 30-30W...........................................90deg F and above
SAE 20-20W...........................................35-90deg F
SAE 10-10W...........................................35deg F and below

All temperature makes sense to me, although I doubt I'll use it in the dead of winter. And somehow Hydraulic based fluids -- either the SAE or one of the ATFs seems to make sense to me for use in a Hydraulic system, rather than motor oil.

I'd like to hear from the collective wisdom and experience of the TBN users on the fluid choices and which one they would use. What is the difference, if any between the SAE, the ATF-A, and the ATF-F Hyd fluids for an application like this? And how would those compare to motor oil?

Kurt

/ What type of oil for a backhoe? #2  
I use ATF just about everywhere.. That is what I used in my backhoe when I got it.

Wedge

/ What type of oil for a backhoe? #3  
Use the same stuff as in the tractor. UDT or SUDT for cold weather operations. Makes life simple.

jb

/ What type of oil for a backhoe? #4  
Since my old b670 holds and leaks a lot I bought the generic UDT at Sam's or Costco in the 5 gallon bucket. ;)

/ What type of oil for a backhoe? #5  
I have a woods 7500 backhoe on the back of my 4200 Deere and i use the same oil in the tractor and hoe keeps life simple (low viscosity Hy-GARD).....chris.....