What type of Syn oil?

/ What type of Syn oil? #1  

Foghorn

Tractor
Kubota 2910
I have a Kubota 2910 w/ @ 55hrs on it. I want to switch to Mobile 1 because that's what I run in my automobiles but I'm not sure if it's the best for a diesel. Any comments?

Thanks - Foghorn

/ What type of Syn oil? #2  
Foghorn,

Welcome to TBN.
To get you started, read through some of the more current threads in this section of the forum.
I think you'll find all the information you'll want/need but you probably won't find a concensus as to which syn. oil is best. (it's like who builds the best pickup truck... everyone will comment but there will be no final answer).

/ What type of Syn oil? #3  
DO NOT use Mobil 1, it is for gasoline engines.

If you are going to use an Exxon-Mobil product, use DELVAC 1300 15W-40 instead, it is rated CI for diesels.

/ What type of Syn oil? #5  
<font color="blue"> DO NOT use Mobil 1, it is for gasoline engines </font>
I don't have a bottle in front of me, but M1 is light diesel rated.

/ What type of Syn oil? #6  
You are right, it is rated CF, but it that is not much of a endorsement as that is the oldest diesel engine endorsement the American Petroleum Institute makes...

Even Exxon-Mobil does not think Mobil 1 is much for a diesel nowadays and recommends Delvac instead:

http://www.mobil1.com/index.jsp

/ What type of Syn oil? #7  
I use M1, 0W30 in all my gas engines and Rotella, 5W40 full synthetic in the diesels.

/ What type of Syn oil? #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have a Kubota 2910 w/ @ 55hrs on it. I want to switch to Mobile 1 because that's what I run in my automobiles but I'm not sure if it's the best for a diesel. Any comments? )</font>

Asking "what is best" is a loaded question.

The bottle of mobil 1 in my garage says it is "API SJ/CF".

The manual for my kubota B7200HST says it wants "API CC or CD rated oil".

I would read that as mobil 1 is fine for my kubota. You should check the manual for your tractor to see if a CF rating is sufficient, and if so, then mobil 1 should be just fine in your kubota.

I personally run Delo 400 in mine. It is API CI-4, CH-4/SL rated. That is a higher rating for both gasoline AND diesel motors than Mobil 1, and it is a heck of a lot cheaper. I buy it 6 gallons at a time at costco. I pay a little more for it than the gasoline only oil, but it reduces the number of different oils I have to keep in the garage. It is also, and more importantly, the least expensive heavy duty motor diesel motor oil I can conveniently purchase around here.

I still run mobil 1 in my air cooled engines. Partially because I believe the additive package in it will handle the excessive heat of an air cooled engine better than some other brands. Partially because I bought 6 quarts of it 2 years ago and haven't used it. And mostly because I buy 15w40 for my car/truck/tractor and briggs and stratton warn aginast 15w40 in their air cooled engines.

So, in summary. I don't see any reason you couldn't use mobil 1 in your kubota as long as the kubota is happy with a API CF service rating. Asking whether it is the "best choice" opens another can of worms /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif