Oil & Fuel What was inside my fuel line?

/ What was inside my fuel line? #1  

jclaudii

Silver Member
Tractor
MF35, Kubota7040, Case885, Ford 1100
So I took my fuel line off and this is what I found, no not the spade fuse 20150506_132914.jpg but the little guy in the foreground.
Not sure how it got there or if it affected performance of the tractor any, but either way I got it out.

my fuel shutoff valve would not work and I'm guessing this was part of the problem. I am going to replace the fuel valve with something else, perhaps a gas ball valve. I am also going to replace the fuel line as when I moved the tank, the old braided fuel line broke in half at the fittings. Does anyone know what size fittings are used on a mf35 or similar type tractors on the line from the tank to the lift pump? You can kinda see the female one that attaches to the valve that the spade fuse is on, what is this fitting called? I like that it has a "wrench holder" on the back side of the fitting to help prevent line movement.

I'm assuming I can just cut this fuel line off where the ferrule is and either slip some hose on with clamps and then just find one of those other fittings to fit my valve and I'll be good to go OR...
20150506_132952.jpg

Try adapting a piece of this SS fuel line from a parts jeep, complete with a SS braid for flexibility.
20150506_133628.jpg

Thanks for the info on how you would do this repair, I have worked on stuff my whole life, but I don't have alot of experience making my own hoses, flaring things, etc. I may just use hardware store stuff to piece this back together.

I took the tank off mainly to stop the fuel from flowing into the injector pump while I have the top off of it replacing the throttle and kill lever seals.

/ What was inside my fuel line? #2  
I'd cut it at the 'ferrule' and put a very small flare on the end of the metal tube to act as a small 'barb' to hold the hose on better.

Slip the hose on and secure with a hose clamp.

Simple fix.

/ What was inside my fuel line? #3  
Must have been buying your fuel at the SHELL station.
Dave

/ What was inside my fuel line?
Haha! I don't know. Who knows, it could have been in there for a few decades!

I went to lowes yesterday and they did not have what I was looking for. I grabbed a barbed fitting and I'll run a straight hose for now until I get the correct valve. I want to get the correct valve so I can then get the correct ferrules for the tube.

/ What was inside my fuel line? #5  
G'day check out the Bare Co site under MF you will find all the taps and fuel lines you need the fittings are 1/2" unf in the tap and the lift pump

Jon

/ What was inside my fuel line?
mine had a 1/2 adapter down to quarter NPT I donot know if that is "factory" or aftermarket make it fit.

/ What was inside my fuel line? #7  
G'day sounds like a make do repair all the fuel lines on these were 1/2 nf thread if you are not looking for originality then a 1/2" jic male fitting to 1/4" barb and some normal fuel line will do the trick for both ends

Jon