What will keep snakes away

/ What will keep snakes away #11  
I put granular sulfer out around our house. It smells a little for the a day or so after applying it. But no snakes. I just put it in my walk behind spreader like fertilize and make sure to rinse out the spreader well afterwords. I have a burmuda grass lawn and the sulfer works well as a fertilize for it. A duel purpose product. The powered sulfer works better but its to diffacult to work with. It's also cheep, last I bought was $17 for 50lb.

James

/ What will keep snakes away #12  
Tom_H said:
A mongoose.

That's what I was thinking. :)

60493d1157342812-what-will-keep-snakes-away-rikki.jpg

Attachments

• rikki.jpg
    rikki.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 4,426
   / What will keep snakes away #13  
The only snakes I see are the dead one the cats bring to show me they are doing there job.

/ What will keep snakes away #14  
There is one way that is even nice to look at if you can stand the screaming. Peacocks will kill every snake they see. They are amazing at this.

I could not live with the ruckus that the peacock makes. I will take the snakes.

Dane

/ What will keep snakes away #15  
deere755 said:
My wife has hinted that if we had some cats that they would keep the snakes away. I am not sure that is what I am looking for. Cats are ok until I find them on my car or pickup. I think part of the problem is we put a small goldfish pond with a fountain in our landscape. It seems since we added this to our landscape the snakes have appeared. I think I will try the moth flakes and see what happens.
Your goldfish pond is a natural water source for many animals that you do not see (including snakes). The snakes know this and will hunt around it. some snakes around are not too bad to balance things out. But it looks like you're over the limit? The cats work well out here even for smaller rattlesnakes. Just make sure they are not "pets". My neighbor keeps a bunch of them around a detached building providing shelter from the coyotes and he leaves food for them there. Every once in a while he has to replenish the cat herd.

/ What will keep snakes away #16  
i have expensive birds that free fly in my house........i recently came up missing a bird then another then another then another......i discovered a black snake in a guitar that i was using for a bird breeding box.......that snake devoured $400 worth of birds that were special to me.....i am not happy.....he is dead gone now but i am worried about another one moving in to replace him......apparantly they have a great sense of smell and thus were able to detect i have a smorgasboard here.....i had problems with mice two winters ago.....they come for the bird seed....i removed over loo mice.....i havent seen a mouse in two years now.....i keep d-con boxes out in various locations.....also spring loaded traps against the walls......i am not sure how to make sure no more snakes get in......ive read that moth balls are not that effective and most snake repellents are a scam as well......i will put out moth balls underneath the house. ive also closed up many possible acess holes though i am sure there are hundreds of other ways to get in.......

/ What will keep snakes away #17  
I sure am no fan of snakes however, I also see no reason to kill a snake just because it's a snake, especially non- poisoness types. I had a blacksnake in the ceiling of my garage for years, only saw him one time but would find discarded skins, best part, never had a mouse problem. The old snake finally died and the mice moved in. I sure wouldn't tolerate a poisoness snake around the house but would probably just bag him up and haul him farther up the mountain. Being a retired Insurance Claims Adjuster, I had a snakebite claim and was advised by a gentleman named Tom Glass, a snake bite expert from Texas, there is nothing that will positively keep snakes away, the closest item is mothballs as the seem to have an adverse effect on the snakes olefactory nerve.

/ What will keep snakes away #18  
i have expensive birds that free fly in my house........i recently came up missing a bird then another then another then another......i discovered a black snake in a guitar that i was using for a bird breeding box.......that snake devoured $400 worth of birds that were special to me.....i am not happy.....he is dead gone now but i am worried about another one moving in to replace him......apparantly they have a great sense of smell and thus were able to detect i have a smorgasboard here.....i had problems with mice two winters ago.....they come for the bird seed....i removed over loo mice.....i havent seen a mouse in two years now.....i keep d-con boxes out in various locations.....also spring loaded traps against the walls......i am not sure how to make sure no more snakes get in......ive read that moth balls are not that effective and most snake repellents are a scam as well......i will put out moth balls underneath the house. ive also closed up many possible acess holes though i am sure there are hundreds of other ways to get in.......

You had no mice because you had a snake. ;)

/ What will keep snakes away #20  
I thought Hawaii had a pretty serious problem with snakes too? They were trying to eliminate some that had came from asian and were acting like it was a buffet.