What would be the BEST rough terrain tractor?

/ What would be the BEST rough terrain tractor? #51  
Those New Holland crawler look like the perfect solution, /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif but I don't think think their avalible with a FEL, /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gifwhat about a blade? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifAlso what the price for one of those. probly cost a pretty penny, new at least. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ What would be the BEST rough terrain tractor?
a FEL is crucial.
Speaking of which, I just got word that Westendorf is going to be producing a FEL for the Antonio Carraro tractors.

/ What would be the BEST rough terrain tractor? #53  
The thing with crawlers are- they just crawl- You need something on wheels that can take you around. Wheeled tractors are much more versatile. Besides, crawlers are dangerous, on frozen ground they slide sideways (a friend of mine got killed that way) in steep muddy slopes they goes too far before they give up. And they leave tracks, and tears up the ground. Rent a tracked digger from time to time when you need something done, or buy one in addition to a tractor.

/ What would be the BEST rough terrain tractor? #54  
Have you considered a Unimog? Take a look at the Case MB4/94 model - I am considering one to supplement my TN75

You can get these with F&R PTO & hydraulics, 2WD, 4WD, or all 4 locked, side slope capability of 42% and verticle of 60%

I'm waiting for Vonn to jump in anytime, as he is the resident expert on MOG's /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Here is a link to Vonn's site - click on the left had side on the brochure to see some of the capabilities http://vonsmog.tripod.com/

I love Unimogs but didn't realize they'd run front & rear hydraulics.
HMMMMMMmmm.

I've been in the HUMMER world since '95. And that's the kind of offroad ability I'm used to. A Mog would be pretty similar in abilities.

Where can you find attachments that will work with the MOG. I assume that once you get a 3PH for the rear, any 3point attachment will work, right?

What about the front loader? How do you get your hands on one? Can you swap out the bucket for a plow? Or would you need a whole different front end attachment for the plow?

I'd much rather spend 20K on a Unimog than a tractor, personally. But I've got an irrational fondness for the mogs.

/ What would be the BEST rough terrain tractor? #56  
</font><font color="blueclass=small">(
I've been in the HUMMER world since '95. And that's the kind of offroad ability I'm used to. A Mog would be pretty similar in abilities.
)</font>

uhhh the mog will stomp a hummer offroad. not similar at all IMO.
<edit>
I relized just now I spewed off ...
approach/departure/breakover angles ... mog wins
gearing ... mog wins
flex ... mog wins (H1's are stiff)
"beef" ... both are beefy
"HP" ... who cares ... it's the gears and wheels on the ground
</edit>
still IMO ...

(ohh and H2's buhahahaha)

Depends on the driver and the truck, but . . . don't want to get into that argument. I've seen Mogs roll over where a HUMMER wouldn't. I've seen HUMMERs stuck where a Mog wasn't. Totally depends on the situation.

I know they're totally different trucks (solid axle versus independent, etc.) But they have geared hubs and large clearance etc.

Just saying that they're built for similar uses (as opposed to a Z71 Chevy or something).

/ What would be the BEST rough terrain tractor? #58  
Thought that might get your attention /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I'm still learning on the Mog's too, so can't answer all your questions, but it does appear to be more difficult to find some of the attachments - ie. you may end up having to import or wait until you find here in the US. There are many configurations available though

Mog's have been used, and still are, in Europe for Ag related for many years. Freightliner is dist. for the newer Mogs - if you have $100K+ /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

There are Mog sites that have more knowledgeable people to answer your specific questions. I believe TBNer DangerousDan uses Mogs in his logging work and some others on here have them as well.

Some say a MOG is a Hummer tow truck /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif but I wouldn't know

/ What would be the BEST rough terrain tractor? #59  
I've heard the term H.R.V.... Hummer Recovery Vehicle. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ What would be the BEST rough terrain tractor? #60  
I thought I downloaded a sticker for it. Here it is (see attachment).

Attachments

• 836249-HRV.jpg
    836249-HRV.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 164