whats a 986 worth

/ whats a 986 worth #1  

whodat526

Veteran Member
Tractor
fords
i am looking at a 986 ih that a lady has and dont know what to offer open stations with a 4post it is a pretty straight tractor with good rubber and as a dual 3100 front end loader the tractor has been parked for about a year

/ whats a 986 worth #2  
You can check prices at TractorHouse. Don't have a link.

Kim

/ whats a 986 worth #3  
How many hours? Generally speaking a 966 will bring more than a 986. When IH moved the operator forward to make cab access easier they really went a stray. Sit in the seat and tell me if you can see the draw bar to hook up with. The shifters are also known to have problems with the then new design. Still not a bad tractor if in good shape. Depending on hours, if high 5-7K, if low hours still well under 10K.

/ whats a 986 worth
i know a 966 is worth more the tractor only has about 3500 hours a old man bought it to bale hay with its pretty straight just some rust sheat metal a old lady now has it since her huspand past and is wonting to sell it

i have seen the prices on tractor house and they are asking alot for them but i dont think they are worth that much just trying to figure what i should give her for it

/ whats a 986 worth #5  
I'd say it should be worth 10,000. with the loader. To be asking 12,500 would not be out of line although there are some bargins out there but they are normally lacking.

They don't have power shift but given respect they can last a long time and they don't run much cheaper.

/ whats a 986 worth #6  
Due respect to Art, I think he is $2500-$4000 high. A 986 with a loader might have an asking price of $12,000 on a CaseIH dealer's lot, but it better have a decent cab and working A/C to bring that money. If it has PFC hydraulics, I'd knock off another $1500.

/ whats a 986 worth
what is pfc hyd. the lady ended up not wonting near what i got told by the man helping her sell it i bought it for 3000 he told me she wont 8000 which i thought was high because i really didn't wont it i wont the 4600 su ford she had but had to by them bought i just like to buy and sell fords so never had any dealings with any ih except a few 784 and 885 and a pill of 1066's for shipping over seas

/ whats a 986 worth #8  
what is pfc hyd.

Late 86 series IH's had PFC hydraulic systems, the similar design as the variable displacement piston pump and closed center valving with signal lines found on a 7740 Ford SLE and other later, larger Fords & New Hollands. Ford called the system CCLS (Closed Center load Sensing) PFC is Pressure & Flow Compensated; same thing. The early IH PFC system was poorly dsigned & implemented, and an outfit called Hy-Capacity made a bunch of money from kits retrofitting IH PFC systems to open center.