Whats best tractor for my situation?

/ Whats best tractor for my situation? #1  

Josh52

I am pretty new with tractors but I just bought 80 acres, 40 of it hay and 40 corn. My wife has 5 horses and i plan on getting into cattle, I won't be getting a tractor till next year because I am currently in Iraq and won't get out of the army till next spring. I don't know much about tractors but I have operated heavy equipment in a limestone quarry. I do want a tractor with a lot of power and would like it to operate well with a loader. If anyone could help me with what brand of tractor and a price that would be great. Looking to buy new.

/ Whats best tractor for my situation? #2  
Hi Josh52 Welcome to TBN!!

Thanks for what you do in the military it is appreciated!!

I don't know alot about corn but for hay I would look at a 70hp or better tractor depending on alot of factors. What type of land do you have? hills flat ect...
What size bailer do you think you would like? Usually most folks recommend you get a list of the chores you plan to use the tractor for and which attachments you will need then get a tractor to match.

Chris

/ Whats best tractor for my situation? #3  
I am pretty new with tractors but I just bought 80 acres, 40 of it hay and 40 corn. My wife has 5 horses and i plan on getting into cattle, I won't be getting a tractor till next year because I am currently in Iraq and won't get out of the army till next spring. I don't know much about tractors but I have operated heavy equipment in a limestone quarry. I do want a tractor with a lot of power and would like it to operate well with a loader. If anyone could help me with what brand of tractor and a price that would be great. Looking to buy new.

With that much acreage in crops, you're out of the utility tractor size and into the ag tractor range. The minimum setup I would be looking at would be an ag tractor with at least 90 hp (pto), 4WD, and cab.

Starting with the big guy, the JD 6400 series deserves a look.
Also the Case/IH MXM110.
Challenger MT465B
New Holland TB110
Massey Ferguson 5460

These are pretty pricy tractors--new prices in the $30-50K range.
If your budget limit is lower, you can find used ag tractors in the 90 hp range. The classic example is the JD 4020, a late 1960s-1970s tractor that sells in the $10K range.

/ Whats best tractor for my situation? #4  
You may want to consider having 2 tractors. One of the ag tractors for your crops and other heavy jobs like moving large bales, and a CUT with FEL for cleaning up after the livestock and mowing your yard. I can't comment on the ag part of your operation, but a CUT is a great thing to have with animals. You can clean stalls/turn out areas, mow, grade your driveway, move snow, dig post holes, etc. You can do some of those things with a large tractor as well (I wouldn't mow my lawn with it), but they aren't anywhere near as nimble and just plain don't fit in some places.

Due to the price of new tractors, most people farming around me are using older iron (50s to 80s) like the JD 4020 mentioned. Two of my neighbors are using 4020s for many of their farming applications.

/ Whats best tractor for my situation? #5  
That's a nice size piece of land! Between the crops and the horses everyone should have plenty to do. Don't short yourself on labor-saving machinery. Take a look at how much neighboring farmers have. There's a reason for that.

In my opinion you need two tractors for that type of operation. An 80 to 110 hp Ag tractor with good PTO, comfortable seat, and category II three point for field and heavy work. If it has a loader it should be demountable. You will use the big loader more than you think, but it is in the way when working the crops. Two wheel drive will be fine for this Ag tractor because Ag tractors have awesome traction anyway. Look at the John Deere 3020 or 4020 for an idea of size. Don't go smaller than the 3020. A good 4020 is still the standard and they are still good machines. Also, I'd stay with the JDxx20 or newer series tractors for that Ag tractor. If you are even moderately handy with hoses and routine mainenance then your tractors don't need to be new. In fact they can be 30+ years old and have thousands of hours and still be OK. Tractors last for a long, long time. Ag tractors last even longer.

The other tractor will be the smaller one you use around the barn and for general chores. Don't get it too small. Your's is still a sizable operation. Called a "utility tractor" It uses category I implements and is usually 30 to 40 hp. It will lift and carry about half a ton comfortably, but can lift more in a pinch. The motor will be a compact diesel and be sure to get 4wd and a loader on this tractor. You will need both. Compact tractors use 4wd instead of weight. Most compact tractors have loaders that are demountable but you may never use that feature. It will be your primary chore machine. This smaller tractor one will probably be newer than the Ag tractor - 15 years old or 1000 hours or less - and oddly enough will cost more. It doesn't need to be new either, but the main thing with this one is that it be one that both you and your wife find comfortable to just jump on and operate for chores both short and long. Expent to do a lot of jumping on it to do small chores all day long. Some compacts have hydrostatic drive - others are old fashioned gears. Both work fine, but the type of transmission you want will determine as much as anything about which tractor that you get.
Enjoy! rScotty

/ Whats best tractor for my situation?
Thanks for the info, my property has hills but nothing that steep. I looked up the tractors on that list and lately that is what I have been looking at. I would love to get two tractors but I highly doubt my wife would let me buy two, and I kind of want to stick to newer if not brand new. Now with the list of tractors that was posted pretty much once it gets that large of tractor does it depend on personal preferance or is one of those tractors better than others? Cause I have been mainly looking at New Hollands but I kind of like the price of Massey Fergusons better. I haven't heard of too many problems with new hollands and there is a lot of dealerships near by. My father in law had a Massey and said he had problems with the electrical stuff because of the semi auto transmission or something like that. Do any of you know if that was a common problem and did they fix it? Thanks.