Whats good to mow a rough area under trees too low for the tractor?

/ Whats good to mow a rough area under trees too low for the tractor? #1  

JCS_in_KY

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1533
I've got an area on my property that we'd like to keep mowed. It's cleared but is a little too rough for a finish mower (the previous property owners used their Grasshopper mower to do it and managed to do quite a bit of damage to the deck). The terrain is a little rough and there are always small branches down from the trees, that and the uneven ground is pretty hard on a regular mower. I'd be perfectly happy with bushhogging it once a month or so but my MF1533 is too tall to get in around the trees. What's a good option to clear an area like that? I was thinking possibly one of the Swisher tow behind roughcut mowers that I could pull with an ATV, other than that I'm not sure what else to try. All total it's about 2 - 2 1/2 acres of land and if I find something that works good for that I'd like to be able to use it to keep an narrow ATV / walking trail clear around part of property which is probably 3000' or so long.
John

/ Whats good to mow a rough area under trees too low for the tractor? #2  
I don't know what kind of trees you have, but is it possible to get a powered pole saw and trim them high enough to get your tractor under them. That's what I have done in situations like that.

Will

/ Whats good to mow a rough area under trees too low for the tractor?
It's a mixture of trees but there are lots of redbud and stuff that aren't very big so I'd have to take quite a bit of the tree away to get under there. The wife says she wants to keep all the trees there so I've got to come up with another option. Maybe I should tell her to buy me a smaller tracker to use for that area :) It seems like one of these pull behind mowers might work well for that area, I just have seen lots of mixed reviews on them so I'm hesitant to spend the money on one.

/ Whats good to mow a rough area under trees too low for the tractor? #4  
Would a sickle bar for your tractor work? They'd give you some reach off the side to get under the branches and can be had really cheap, Ive seen lots for around 500.

/ Whats good to mow a rough area under trees too low for the tractor? #6  
what a bout a saber hydraulic cutter

Sabre Samurai | Questions and Answers

from their FAQ.

Can I use the Sabre as a sickle mower?
Yes. The unit can be positioned in this fashion. Many users utilize the Sabre to maintain growth underneath electrical fence lines.

tom

/ Whats good to mow a rough area under trees too low for the tractor? #7  
Sheep Goats ??:D

/ Whats good to mow a rough area under trees too low for the tractor? #8  
Mulch it out to a point where you can mow. Plant vinca minor or some non-threatening ground cover to fill the space.

Mike

/ Whats good to mow a rough area under trees too low for the tractor? #9  
wife with a weedwacker:)

/ Whats good to mow a rough area under trees too low for the tractor? #10  
I've had a Billy Goat brush mower for 10 or 12 years now. Bought it to get to all the places the tractor w/brush hog wouldn't or shouldn't go. Can now get 80% with a finish mower, got rid of the brush hog and still use the Billy Goat for hilly areas and keeping the trails clear. Believe it's a little easier to work on then the DR, although I've had virtually no problems with it other then replacing a belt.