What's happened to eBay?

/ What's happened to eBay? #11  
It's still my number one goto site for so many things. Especially electronics from China. FREE shipping, no brokerage charges or TAX! Foam guns, back scratchers, leds, computer cables, relays, cat toys, I could go on and on.

/ What's happened to eBay?
I think Industrial Toys treasure is my trash. When I started using eBay, there was virtually nothing new on it. It was a place to sell good used stuff from one private individual to another. That's all there was. Then companies started using it and that was the first step down the slippery slope.

/ What's happened to eBay? #13  
I use it now mainly for rare hard to find stuff. It’s still a good source for used car parts, but even then I find the shipping costs a little high.

I did just buy an oven element for a vintage range. The price was good and I couldn’t find it anywhere else.

/ What's happened to eBay? #14  
I find the cost to sell on eBay is outrageous now, I've had very good luck selling stuff I don't need on FaceBook Marketplace, I never even think about CraigsList but do shop eBay for a lot of stuff, like others no brokerage for import or duties and typically free ship, just sometimes slow.

/ What's happened to eBay? #15  
I think Industrial Toys treasure is my trash. When I started using eBay, there was virtually nothing new on it. It was a place to sell good used stuff from one private individual to another. That's all there was. Then companies started using it and that was the first step down the slippery slope.

I am on the side of "Industrial Toys", about E-Bay
E-Bay is OFTEN less expensive than Amazon, and Amazon now charges tax.
I buy lots of stuff on E-Bay.( I compare Amazon and E-Bay for pricing ).
Recent E-Bay examples: Hobart MIG welder, MIG wire, wire rope, electrical cable, dog food, dog vitamins, people vitamins, extra 20v & 40V batteries, chain, tractor parts, etc. etc. (chain was less on E-Bay than HF with 20% off)

/ What's happened to eBay? #16  
Yep, when it started was more like craigslist.

/ What's happened to eBay? #17  
We bought a second hand cell phone from eBay just recently. Was supposed to be refurbished. But ended up just being used. Wasn't even factory defaulted. We realized too late or we would have reported them. Took a bit to get the phone activated.

Our issue with the phone was the charging port. Port has a pin that's hinky, so when the phone is hooked to a charger, it tends to charge for a second, then disconnect, then connect again. Almost like a bad cord. But the cord is brand new and works great for our other devices.

We have to shut the phone off when charging, or it constantly beeps. So, this weekend, I'll run it by a cellular repair place and see if we can get it fixed.

I agree with others. The direct from China and 20 something adds for the same thing are very aggravating. I rarely browse on there any more.

/ What's happened to eBay? #18  
I check it and compare to Amazon. As mentioned above, got to watch the shipping. There at $1 TVs out there with $200 shipping. Lots of other examples in the lower ranges like I bought a min/max thermometer for $4 and then noticed $12 shipping.

/ What's happened to eBay? #19  
I rarely go to Ebay for anything, but in another thread, somebody suggested getting filters on ebay and I have found a few good deals there. I think of Ebay as a small scale version of Amazon, but without the reviews. If you know what you want, you might save a buck going there.

For awhile Craigslist was decent for selling things, but I think Facebook has replaced them. Especially Facebook groups where you can post just farm equipment in your local area.

And of course, nothing has a better history of success then putting it out on the road with a for sale sign on it!!!!

/ What's happened to eBay? #20  
I find commissions are the killer for us, just over 10% for ebay then another 10% for Paypal and they include the postage in the total figure, this makes selling something of a challenge for little or no input on their part.
We have alternate sites too like the free gumtree.com.au which is owned by Ebay, we have now taken to waiting to sell at garage sales a couple of times a year, no scammers, no spammers and no commission (yet).