WHATS IN YOUR GARDEN?

/ WHATS IN YOUR GARDEN? #21  
Excellent thread, thanks for starting this one.:D Tomatos, cherry and big boys, green peppers, jalapenos, hot wax peppers, oinions, potatoes, corn, brocoli, carrots, peas, cocumbers, green beans, beets, radishes, leaf lettuce, califlower, also going to try brussel sprouts this year. We also plant and some herbs.

This is the dryest it has been in the last six years that I have lived at this house. No snow to amount to anything and no spring rain yet either. I was able to get some things planted already:D. Potatoes, onions and peas. That means I got to play with my tractor earlier then usual too.:D

/ WHATS IN YOUR GARDEN? #22  
Well the time is getting close to start the garden again. What are some of the things your planting? For me: sweet corn (peaches and cream) tomatoes, bell peppers, carrots, onions, green beans, and lettice. I really use to hate helping my family in the garden when I was younger, as I became older I realize just how important that garden is. Not only for the food savings aspect, but also for the family bonding. So whats in your garden?
You are correct on the Older we get we realize how important a garden is.About 30 years ago I could have cared less,LOL.This years garden,taters,peppers,tomatos,green beans,onions and some good old sweet corn and the great time I get to spend with my wife & grandkids planting this garden.It makes it well worth it.coobie

/ WHATS IN YOUR GARDEN? #23  
Whats in your Garden?

Probably GRUBS!!

Not having one this year, After five years, I have decided it is to hot here to do much good with a garden. Having to water from the well due to lack of rain, it just seems to be a waste for the return. Terry

/ WHATS IN YOUR GARDEN? #25  
I was going to plant the 1/2 acre behind the duplex we own and rent. But hubby was so busy last time he was home he didn't have time to take the tractor and plow up to plow and disc it. It hasn't had a garden on it for years or if ever, not sure, and used to have a septic field on one side of it so I didn't figure I could do it with my tiller that way. I have a Pony TroyBilt, really like that tiller. Hubby teased me and didn't want me to buy it, said I would never use it, this is year 4 or 5, so he hasn't said anything else about it. We put in city water and sewer when it was annexed a few years back so the field is no longer used. I was just wanting to plant a field of sweet corn and water melons. I would freeze the corn, nothing better then fresh corn cut off the cob and frozen. Probably could sell some of them. The neighbor cater corner from it up at Conroe puts out a huge garden. But guess it was no better than mine last year, looked like he plowed his corn and stuff under early. I wonder if he has a truck garden cause he sure puts out a big one and its usually really pretty. It was so dry last year nothing grew very well. I just don't see many people putting out gardens anymore.

We have mexican laborers go by, they work at either building houses or lawn work over in the new expensive subdivision near us, or work for the guy that owns the plant nursery beside us, and they seem to think its a real novelty seeing an old white woman out there putting in and raising a garden. I have some older people stop and tell me its sure a nice looking one. Am I out of sync or what? When I had to quit working in accounting, it like to killed me, I had to find something to do. Something to fill my time and be productive. I got a real estate license but didn't care for that but no way I could work, I tried but everytime I went to work, mom or DD would be sick. (Oh, I don't know if I said, our daughter is mentally challenged. She just turned 38 and for quite a few years she has had issues with diverticulosis and had to have a colon resection. She does well with me home. Mom's problem was just old age and then end of life issues, that we all have to deal with.) I had to give up about 10 years early and it like to killed me, I liked working. I was bored to death and got very depressed. Finally I started planting a garden, working on rentals with one of my tenants, raising chickens, and going back to sewing and making most of my and some of DD's clothes. I was always a good seamstress. One of our bedrooms is now my sewing room. Hubby and I put together about 8 foot of cabinets for my fabric stash and I have a big roll around storage unit too. I have pattern cabinets from a fabric store, LOTS of patterns and 4 types of sewing machines. I can make most anything, including fitted bedspreads. Even make my own fitted sheets anymore.

I'm always wanting to learn something new. I put most of the laminate floors down in our house, and yep I trimmed them out too and taught myself to lay that commercial tile. Then decided I wanted 6 panel doors in our house, instead of those old flat doors, so figured out how to set the hinges, hubby has a mortising kit and a router, that wasn't hard. But hanging them by myself was an interesting exercise, but you can do wonders with a good old pry bar. I tiled our garage floor with that commercial tile you see in places like Walmart, hubby laughed at that. He said why? I said so I can keep it cleaner!!:D

Tonight they had tornado warnings out. I have over 100 blooms on one of my peach trees and almost the same number on an orange tree, and a grapefruit tree. They were talking high winds and hail. I went out and put garbage bags over 2 of the trees, then I found a tarp and wrapped rope around it and tied it to the fence over the orange tree. I figured wind and hail would knock all the blossoms off. I hope the wind didn't knock all the blooms off my tomatoes. The temp dropped from about 80 to 57, pretty good front went through.

Well way to much information, so good night.

/ WHATS IN YOUR GARDEN? #26  
Glad I haven't started planting yet. Freeze watch out for Sunday and Monday nights.

My Blackberry canes and muscadine vines have shipped and should be here Tuesday and will be planted on Wednesday.

/ WHATS IN YOUR GARDEN? #27  
Nothing yet,going to put tiller on this week,going to buy seed potatoes and cabbage,broculli,calaflower, onion sets,lettuce,spinich this week too.

Don't plant any thing here till about the middle of april.

/ WHATS IN YOUR GARDEN? #28  
I jsut planted 25 Ozark Beauty strawberries, some peas, spinach, lettuce and beets. Too cold for anything else except maybe radishes right now.

/ WHATS IN YOUR GARDEN? #29  
I just got my first batch of green onions out of the garden. Everything is up including my corn. The tomato plants are blooming, I have 8 more to plant and 2 eggplants.

I need to till but its still a bit to wet.

The grapefruit, peach, and orange trees are loaded with blooms. The peach has little peaches on it already about a 1/2 inch across, wonder if the big one will produce this year?

I have an apricot, nectarine, apple, cherry, and avocado out too, not sure what they will do. My banana trees died back last winter, I doubt they produce anything.This is the second year for my 3 grapevines, wondering if I will get any grapes off them this year. Can't wait until I can make jelly off them.

/ WHATS IN YOUR GARDEN? #30  
Amazing the different growing seasons. Today we took the tractor into my dads lot to do some repairs. he is expanding it and also the dirt has leveled itself off the hill, so time to pull it off the lower fence and back up the hill. We don't worrie about having the garden in untill the first of june at the latest. May is the planting month, except for the starts.
Between dad and I (We plant mostly the same)
Corn, (golden Jubilee) Tomatoes, Swiss Chard, beans, carrots, Cukes, Strawberries, Cabbage, Radishes, Squashes
Thanks to the new tractor, the corn is being moved to virgin soil. The first time I planted in virgin soil the corn was 7-8" tall.
A bonus is a giant pumpkin. Hopefully, I will have to use my tractor to lift it this fall!
We stay away from lettuce, Broccoli, due to bugs.